Thinking about taking DD out of school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background: DD is 7.5 and is in her 5th year at a waldorf school. She attended starting in parent/toddler, then Morning Garden, K, 1st and now 2nd. Her current teacher was also her 1st grade teacher.

So this year started with anxiety at home before school even started. Now, three weeks later, she is having at least one day, sometimes several days per week when she doesn't want to get up to go school, or once we get to school, doesn't want to stay. She has only had one major meltdown and that was a day we were already there, she was already playing and I was about to leave. I ended up walking with her to her cubby and then leaving her with her teacher.

Describing her actions, it doesn't sound like anything major, even to me, but I just have this gut feeling that something more is going on with her. It might "only" be anxiety, but we have never had these kinds of days, and the struggle that we are having now. Her teacher reports that she is having good days at school, and was fine after I left her the day of the meltdown. We have a meeting scheduled next week to talk more in depth. But I am trying to decide if I should leave her in school, or take her out and homeschool.

Has anyone taken a child out of school to homeschool?

#2 of 6 Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Many of us have taken a child out of school to homeschool.  Our reasons all varied, you have to decide what is right for your family.  It does strike me odd though that the anxiety is just presenting itself this year and the weeks leading up to it.  She has the same teacher as last year, so it would make me wonder if something was happening or bothering her a bit last year.  She tolerated it, but then when it came time for school to come again, she perhaps was just not in the mood to deal with it anymore.  With the same teacher, same classmates? too, she would be expecting the environment of the classroom to be similar.  That, of course, may not be the case.  I am hypothesizing.  But I do think it odd that a previously "happy in school" kid would suddenly have anxiety about school without a trigger.  The trigger doesn't have to be school related.  Is there anything going on that may be the cause of separation anxiety?  Does this only happen with school?  I think it is good that you are trying to find out what is bothering your dd.  

When I pulled my dd out of school, I did it in December at winter break.  I had the intention of finishing the year at home and then deciding about the next year at that time.  I knew that I COULD re-enroll her.  I didn't, but I could.  It made it easier knowing that I was taking it one year at a time.  If you pull your dd out, and then hs doesn't work out like you hope, can you re-enroll?  Would you need to find a new school?  This is just something to consider.  

Talk to your dd over the weekend.  See if she can shed some light on what is going on.  Then talk with the teacher.  See if she has suggestions.  If you feel that she needs to homeschool, go for it.  It can be a great experience.  If you do, come back here and look up deschooling.  Many kids need to "deschool" for a bit. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

We have a meeting with her teacher today. I am so conflicted, because I don't think there is a right or wrong decision here. I think if she stays in school, we will deal with whatever is going on, and she will do well. Most days, she loves it. We celebrated Michaelmas this past weekend, and she was totally in her element. But I would also love to give her the freedom to learn freely, at her own pace, at home. We didn't have any problems this morning, but she did want to sit and write and just be here.

It could be related to what's going on at home. My partner and I are having some issues. I don't want to go into too many details on a public board, but I do wonder if that's part of it. Also, I had a thought about this...I take care of a 3rd grader who goes to public school. She started right before school started. I have her at least 3 evenings and most weekend days. She and my daughter get along, but I think it has disrupted her rhythm. And it definitely cuts into our family time. I am hoping to be able to give notice, and get back into our routine in a few weeks.

#4 of 6 Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add, we could re-enroll her if it turns out homeschooling isn't the right fit. We could also do the enrichment program, which is two half days and she would attend for lunch, handwork, playtime and German.

#5 of 6 Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
AAK

How did your meeting go?  

#6 of 6 Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieDippieMama View Post

I wanted to add, we could re-enroll her if it turns out homeschooling isn't the right fit. We could also do the enrichment program, which is two half days and she would attend for lunch, handwork, playtime and German.

That sounds really cool.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page