Best online learning tools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A friend of mine does time 4 learning.  Is it worth the price?  Are there any others that would be better or similar?  My daughter is 6 and would be in 1st grade.

#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM

I don't know if any others  cover all subjects.  I have not tried Brainpop or Brainpop Jr. but it might be fun.

For language arts our kids have used both Reading Eggs and Click'n Read.  I like Eggs better for a younger beginner and Click'n Read better for slightly older child who can handle progressing into grade 3 reading material within a year.  DS1 also has used Click'n Spell.  It worked better after he learned to type.  For typing, he first used DanceMat and then went on to Type to Learn Agents of Information.  DS2 is learning to type with something different - Type to Read and Write.  It combines phonics and typing.  For math, they are both using Dreambox and DS1 is also using Math Whizz.  Dreambox is great for young kids but it only goes through grade 3. 

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM

We have been using Time4Learning for just over 2 years and are very pleased. You can pay quarterly for a cheaper price. You can also write an honest review for one month free. They have a 2 week free trial. Have you tried the demos? You get access to 3 grade levels within each subject. So you daughter would have access to K, 1, and 2. This is good for us because my DD is a little ahead in Language, but behind in math. Some lessons come with resources like worksheets or guides to extend a lesson. They keep all the records, so if you want you can put them in a portfolio if you keep one. They have a very active parent forum. They have guides to help you learn all the ins and outs of the program. We are very pleased. 

Hope this helps a little bit.  :)

Joyfully,

Jackie

My Blog

#4 of 4 Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM

We use theheadoftheclass.com and Khan Academy a lot.  Dd loves both of them and they are free.

flowersforyou.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page