Board/card games? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would love to have some non-computer games for when H is bored, especially ones that work on logic and strategy or ones that use math.  And go ahead and give me ideas for all ages :)  Thank you!

Ones that come to mind are sodoku and chess.  Also, I remember playing a game "24" when I was in Jr high (you had to make a series of numbers somehow make 24).

Oh, and sorry if this has been done before.  I have my 6 year old on my lap begging me for some games to play at the moment.  And she just giggled reading this posting.  :D

#2 of 19 Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM

I love Mancala and Sequence (adult and kids versions).

I think around this age is when i learned to play Kings In the Corner, a multi-player solitare-style card game.

#3 of 19 Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Blink!!! 

Uno (get a few packs and put them together in a plastic baggie...the more the merrier in Uno games!)

Brick by Brick, which is not just a card game, but a tangram-type game that all my kids have loved. 

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#4 of 19 Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Battleship, Monopoly, Yahtzee!, Sorry, Rush Hour (Jr.), Checkers, Blokus, and Othello spring to mind for boardgames.  Card games:  Memory, Go Fish, Rummy, Racko (it's been 20 years since I played that one, not sure they still sell it), Solitaire, Double Solitaire.

#5 of 19 Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Set is a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

#6 of 19 Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We like the cooperative games by Family Pastimes. Especially Snowstorm. Depending on the age of your kids, we also like Harvest Time. Although it's geared towards a bit younger kids, our almost 6 year old enjoys playing it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 19 Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Someone on this board recommended the  math games kit from Right Start Math; we've used it for a few weeks now, and it is quite good.  However, there are 300 some games to choose from so it can be a bit overwhelming!  You, the parent, definitely need to go through it first, pick out the games, learn them, and set them up.  They're not hard, but I've learned that a little setup and required. 

That said, we've only been at it for a few weeks (we're trying to do math games regularly, at least one time a week) and we've learned some good solitaire-types games that the dcs enjoy and *could* play on their own.  Have they done that yet, voluntarily?  No, but I have hopes that someday they will!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#8 of 19 Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quirkle is a favorite around here.  All three of my girls can play (5, 8, 11) though sometimes the 5 year old needs helpful suggestions.  

My five year old loves "Tangoes".  It is essentially a tangram game.  She plays it by herself and will go for hours.  She makes her own pictures, then she tries out a card, after a while she will flip the card and make the picture by following the solution.  I let her do it however she wants.  The game itself have two sets of tangrams and I believe it is to be played like a race.  We have never actually played it like that.

Izzy is one that can drive a person batty.  It is a puzzle/game and can be done with 1 or more.  My oldest loves to work it (following the rules).  My youngest loves to work it with a slight variance to the rules.  Therefore, it works out better if they aren't working it together.  orngbiggrin.gif  http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-5680-ThinkFun-Izzi/dp/B00004WJSX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317222971&sr=8-2

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 19 Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Any of the ThinkFun games (shape by shape, rush hour, chocolate fix, etc.)

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#10 of 19 Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

my kids love board games and so does their dad (which is good because it gets me off the hook). My older two are 8 and 6 so ballpark for your daughter.

particular hits around here this month (and played by my 6 yo girl also)-Catan, Carcassone, Agricola, Iron Dragon, Equate and a game called Elementeo which is a chemistry based strategy game. This in addition to chess and so on. None of these games are visually scary.

When they were a bit younger, they liked various co-operative games eg Orchard, Hop Hop Hop. The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, while not having amazing gameplay, are actually co-operative and don't have scary graphics iirc.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#11 of 19 Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Just wanted to second the recommendation of Set.  Set is an amazing game...fun, but logic-based and semi-educational.

#12 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 12:12 AM

well, i know they've already been said, but chess and blokus for sure.  also labyrinth.  i love all ravensburger games.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#13 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Rat-a-tat-cat is a super-fun card game that both my 5 y.o. and 8 y.o. love. It's math-based and quick. Super-fun!

http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-204-Rat-A-Tat-Cat/dp/B00000GBQJ

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#14 of 19 Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 AM

You should check out Mentagy, it's like Sodoku but using letters.  It was invented by a chess teacher to help his students think a few moves ahead to improve their chess games.

http://www.mentagy.com/default.asp?pgrm=home

http://www.amazon.com/Mentagy-Puzzle-Mr-Allyn-Kahn/dp/1456586920

#15 of 19 Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

My kids can't get enough of the Junior Monopoly game. They also are crazy about the Angry Birds game which now you can play off the computer as it comes as a regular game with building blocks and cards. It's fun, challenging and keeps them busy, which are the main things for kids.

#16 of 19 Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Set is wonderful for building logic skills.  I also recommend Shut the Box for math skills (adding up dice and figuring out all the different combinations that add up to a particular number).  Battleship is good for learning about plotting points on a graph.

#17 of 19 Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Harvest Time is cute and fun

#18 of 19 Old 10-21-2011, 02:14 PM

There's this other sweet one from a plants education website called "Wildcraft" where kids learn about gathering healing plants--so sweet!

#19 of 19 Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 AM

My 4.5 year old LOVES Junior Monopoly. She also likes Set, Qwirkle, Blokus, Rivers Roads and Rails, Memory, checkers, mancala, Uno, Princess, and Go Fish.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page