Mothering Forum banner

Mr. Demme and Math U See

473 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  sofysmommy 
#1 ·
Ok I had to share this with people who could appreciate our little experience we just had. My kids have been doing MUS since the beginning and my 7th grader is currently in Pre-Algebra. My kids are not math lovers so every time I put in a DVD, I say something like, "Oh we loooove Mr. Demme!" and then they all groan. It's just our thing. They actually don't mind math as much as they make it sound but our little ritual stands.

Now...I also have a nephew who is special needs and his parents go to a Joni & Friends camp and their support groups. Turns out Mr. Demme has a special needs child (which I think I gathered from his DVDs but didn't know details). He helps out at the Joni & Friends retreats so my brother and sister in law know him. Only in the past couple weeks did we make the connection that we knew the same person but not in the same way. They had absolutely no idea that he had a math curriculum.

Tonight my brother and sister in law are at one of the support group meetings and my brother in law just called as he had Mr. Demme with him. My son's 12th birthday is tomorrow so I gave my son the phone without telling him who it was and Mr. Demme started talking to him to see if he could figure out who he was. My son didn't know until Mr. Demme started spouting math facts. LOL So he wished my son a happy birthday and told him some of his corny math jokes. I think my son will like Mr. Demme from now on.

I just thought this was the neatest thing so had to share.

Kellie

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.