Tips for Montessori homeschooling two kids two years apart? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sometimes, the 2 year gap just doesn't seem like much time.  But when I've tried to do any homeschool time, the difference is staggering. 

I guess I just need a little connection with others trying to do Montessori at home with kids of different ages to assure myself that it works.  :)

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm sorry this didn't get any response.  I'm just now seeing it.  How old are your kids?  Traditional Montessori is done in 3 year age groups--3-5 years old, 6-8 years old, etc.  So, most of the curriculum lends itself to age differences.  I homeschool 3 children, but our Montessori room is for the 2.5 and 4.5 year olds.  It works out really well, especially now that the 2 year old is getting older and doesn't eat all the work. ;-)  

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, AllyRae!

My boys are 3 and 5.  I just have a hard time keeping them both engaged -- I am trying to prepare the environment, and follow their leads, but you're right.  My 3 year old is still prone to eating the work.  :)  And they have a hard time doing anything for very long when they are both present.  My 5 year old will complete the 100 board by himself... if his little brother is napping or otherwise absent.  It takes him a long time, but he is focused.  But when little guy is in the room, all concentration is shot.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

User Tag List