Homeschool in the Netherlands? I really need help on this! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

The Netherlands has super strict laws re: homeschool.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this.

I'm on a Ducth island but am not Dutch.  (registered here though as a resident and school attendance is required).

thx

#2 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What about a virtual school or correspondence school http://www.clonlara.org/ is what would choose if I was using one. I met the director a long long time ago and was really inspired about what she had to say.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#3 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

Actually that is exactly what I want to do but need to figure out if it's legal (It is not legal) - so actually how to convince the gov't to let me do it or if I need to even let them know.  I sent Clonlara a message yesterday and received a phone call today.  Followed up with an e-mail tellimg me they cannot give legal advice and I should ask the gov't organizations here.  I understand their dilemma but it's back to square one.  I was hoping they had some students from the Netherlands so could advise on that level.  I would probably go that route if It it works out that I can get away with it legally. 

I spoke with a lawyer from the island yesterday as well and asked him if the kids need to be enrolled in 'school' or in 'a local school' so he looked up the law and basically it states the school must be a HAVO or MAVO or some other such Dutch type school.  We discussed a few ways to get out of this which mainly pointed to the kids revoking their residency on the island (I could keep mine) - but that means a large loss of perks related to being a resident (medical, orthodontist, dental, free(cheap) university in Holland.  So it's not really the best solution - esp since I'm a single mom of three.

#4 of 10 Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I know nothing. However, since my husband used to work for a Dutch company, I have sort of looked at this a bit. However, again, I really know nothing.

My understanding is you can only homeschool if there are no schools within a certain distance of your residence that teach whatever philosophy that you go by. So, I've always wondered if my husband got assigned there again if we could simply say we want our kids taught the American Unschooling philosophy. I'd definitely research that before saying it to make sure it's adequate. If it's not, I'd word our philosophy in a way that is adequate.

Have you posted in the tribal area? I think I've seen stuff on dutch homeschooling in there.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Hi Rocky!  I am a US citizen getting ready to move to a Dutch Caribbean island (my husband will be working as a US expatriate) .  We have 2 elementary-aged children and I was hoping to homeschool them as well...primarily because they do not speak Dutch.  I just ran into the "Netherlands does not allow homeschooling" info and am VERY nervous.  Our children have attended "Montessori" schools since 3 years old and I am hoping that since there are no Montessori philosophy schools on the island, that we will be able to get approved for homeschooling.  The Montessori method of teaching is completely different from the traditional classroom (even in the US) so I am hoping that it would work.

Please let me know if you find out anything and I will keep you posted as well!

#6 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 AM

Homeschooling, in the Netherlands, can be approved if the family "leads a traveling existence". In other words, if you spend half of the year in one country (or area of the same country), and the other half somewhere else, you have the best chance. One can argue over philosophy, but traveling really can't be argued with. If you're also registered at Clonlara, I think you should be covered. Do you travel at all? For long stretches of time? If not, would you be willing to? 

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#7 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

Homeschooling, in the Netherlands, can be approved if the family "leads a traveling existence". In other words, if you spend half of the year in one country (or area of the same country), and the other half somewhere else, you have the best chance. One can argue over philosophy, but traveling really can't be argued with. If you're also registered at Clonlara, I think you should be covered. Do you travel at all? For long stretches of time? If not, would you be willing to? 

MittensKittens - where did you get this info?  I was advised by my lawyer and by the NHEC or whatever it is (netherlands advocacy group for home education) that if I live in Bonaire LESS than 6 months a year I can renounce my residency (which makes me lose some extremely nice benefits) - and then I have no problem.  Then I can be a resident anywhere and don't need the Clonlara school.  But I simply cannot travel more than 6 months per year.  It's out of the question.  BUT - yes, maybe I can argue travelling.  I am a single mom from the States living there.  I have full custody of my kids but their dad is Italian and he works a lot in Italy.  So they could go to Italy to see him which so far they have been unable to do.  Also prior to the divorce we lived in Bonaire only 8-9 months of the year and travelled the rest of the time.  The divorce messed things up in many ways - including enrollment in school.  I had to do it to ensure no custody battle (I got it!!!! full legal and physical custody!) but at a price.  So now that things have calmed down and I don't fear a custody battle I'm ready to try again.

I have to run but have more to say.

thx so much everyone for the info.

#8 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 AM

Did you find out any info on this since? We are thinking about moving to the netherlands for a year or so, but we homeschool :) Thanks for any feedback!

#9 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You can look at the following website.

http://www.thuisonderwijs.nl/

there is a button for English readers.

As far as I know, it is difficult to get permission to home school if you are ambulant. It is easier getting permission if you claim that you are unable to find a proper school within a 20 km radius of your domicile that works with your religion/life convictions. There are form letters that you can and probably should use. You have to go to your local city/town administrator before June 30 to register for exemption. As far as I can see, it is unwise to send your child to school first and then try to obtain an exemption. It is unwise to say too much. When/if you are called to come for a talk, you are allowed to bring an observer. About 400 children have gotten exemption.

#10 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Have you seen this website? http://www.homeinleiden.nl/html/schoolshomeschooling.htm

It looks like there are some yahoogroups you could join to learn more-- there are links on the page. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page