Any microscope recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My inlaws bought my son a Smithsonian brand microscope and several microscope books for his last birthday.  He loved it even though it didn't work at all.  The microscope books were awesome, but the scope itself was very poor quality and I couldn't see anything through it, except for on the lowest magnification in a rather blurry way.

Anyway, we're looking into buying him a working microscope for his coming birthday.  I'd like to get one that is not a cheap plastic toy, but that isn't too expensive (under $150 hopefully).  Any recommendations? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 AM

We want to get one for our kids, too, and I think we are going to get a USB microscope.  You can spend as much or as little as you'd like and there are lots of choices.  It is basically a microscope camera that you see on your laptop/computer screen.  Much easier to see and everyone can look at once!  We haven't chosen one yet, but we are very excited!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:21 PM

I just ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-Duo-Scope-Microscope/dp/B000NOU54O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319318000&sr=8-2

except I bought it from here:

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=302&formfield1234567892=10&formfield1234567894=&term=duo-scope&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0

I have not owned it yet, but I was able to try it out at a park day.  The mom who it belonged to highly recommended it for the price.  Because the LED lights run on battieries, and it is small and lightweight, they are able to take it places with them and look at things in nature right away.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Best microscope ever...completely durable, very simple to use and it WORKS!

www.magiscope.com

We had this one when I was a kid, it was lent out to cousins and never seen again.  I was finally able to locate it online just yesterday and it will be on the Christmas list this year.  Seriously, it is wonderful!

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 PM

I am interested in recommendations too! I have wanted a microscope for over 30 years, so I don't care if my kids want one or not. I want it for me! lol.

User Tag List