Are there any homeschooling parents (or 4yo and 5yos) on this forum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If so, please say a quick hello!  Seems to be a lot of parents of older kids, so I was wondering if everyone is lurking... LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm here.  Back in the 80s and 90s, we home schooled our girls.  Now we're home schooling our son for middle and high school.  I don't usually post, only read.  My days of beginning home schooling is so far behind me that none of the curriculum I used then are mentioned now--Ray's Arithmetic, McGuffey's Readers, Konos Unit Studies.  And unlike when our girls were home schooling, we are now part of a charter school.  In some ways being part of a larger community makes home schooling easier.  And in other ways, there are more hoops I have to work around.  Less than the public school but more than when we were independent and under the radar with the girls.  Back then I only had the library, museums, and historical sites.  Now there is also the internet, DVDs, and reenactments.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM

Hi!  I am homeschooling two boys ages 6 and 4 (almost 5).  My 6yo is technically kindergarten as far as school district standards, but we're doing K/1st curriculum.  My 4yo attends preschool three 1/2 days per week which has given me some good space to get our first year of homeschooling going.  So far, so good! 

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#4 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm homeschooling my ds who is 5. Short message for the moment,  but yes we are around.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#5 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oops.  I totally skipped the 4 yos and 5 yos part.  While I did home school the girls when they were 4 and 5, I didn't start home schooling Dylan until 6th grade.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM

My ds2 is 4, and I lurk (and sometimes post) here often.  I generally don't post much in this forum about ds2 though, because I don't do any "formal homeschooling" activities with him.  He's a third child though, so even though I do not ask him to do anything in particular in reality he does a ton and is exposed to way more than my first two were. 

Next year, when he would be of kindergarten age, I will probably work some on reading and handwriting, but that's about it. 

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#7 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM

My daughter is 4, turning 5 next month.  She'd be in kindergarten if she went to public school, although since she's a December baby we'd probably even have the option of waiting another year.  No matter... she's doing mostly grade 1 level work now anyway LOL... 

(When we do work at all, that is of course... she's mostly unschooled/Waldorfy for now)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#8 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Here, but I don't post on this form much. DS is 4 1/2 and we're getting started slowly.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 PM

Here! My DS is 5, almost 6 & my DD turns 3 soon. I pop in now & then as I work PT, too. We're pretty laid back. My son isn't much of a worksheet kinda kid, so the learning we do doesn't look much like "school." shrug.gif Sometimes there's a preschool thread around.

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#10 of 50 Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're homeschooling DD, who is 5. We're using the k12 curriculum through a local district. We're through the district for cost reasons. We might do it without the supervision once finances allow it. It has been going pretty well, aside from a meltdown today after starting back up from Thanksgiving break. smile.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#11 of 50 Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Yes!  We are homeschooling our 5 and nearly-7yo girls.  We are unschoolers and we don't use curricula, so while I am lurking on this forum all the time, I don't post as much as I would because so often the threads revolve around curricula and it all seems as foreign to me as the world of "schoolers".  I am, however, all over the Unschooling forum.  See you around!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#12 of 50 Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM

I am a lurker who hardly makes the time to do that much.  My son will be five in January and my daughter just turned seven.

#13 of 50 Old 11-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Hello, and welcome! wave.gif

Another mom of a 5 yo (almost 6 yo.). We've been homeschooling unofficially for a couple years at least before being official this year.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#14 of 50 Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Hi there,

I have twin 5 year olds.  I look nearly every day and sometimes post.  I see this as my practice year since the girls don't need to be officially enrolled until next Fall.  We are all over the map from a curriculum standpoint:  unschooly on days I feel like just following them, traditional schoolroom when I feel I need/want to expose them to something (often a moral or something related to an upcoming event), nature-based mentoring when I feel the need to be outdoors (lots of days), and lots of seasonal-based crafts/projects/cooking. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience along the way!

#15 of 50 Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Another lurker here! I have a strong lit-based leaning that seems compatible with my 4.5 yo DD so far, so we bring piles of library books home regularly on different topics that come up or just by great authors. Most days I try to work in a little reading and writing practice (bob books, HWT) b/c she's really motivated, and a math game and art activity for fun. Sometimes more, sometimes less, and then of course there's the stuff that's learning in everyday life or family fun. Anyway, so far it's a good rhythm for us.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#16 of 50 Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 AM

My oldest will be five towards the end of this winter. I'm here, but we don't follow a curriculum. I'm not that into academics at this age. I just want to have fun with my kids!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#17 of 50 Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM

I'm here too. We're not doing anything formal yet, but we'll register with our state in April. We'll be loosely following the Ambleside Online curriculum for the first year and we'll kick in with their year 1 once DD turns six.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#18 of 50 Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM

I am homeschooling my 4.5 year old. We're doing Moving Beyond the Page's 5-7/k-1  level and he loves it. He's a bright little guy who needs LOTS of structure. I thought I would unschool but he had other plans. 

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#19 of 50 Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My son will be 6 this month. My daughter is 3.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#20 of 50 Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
 I thought I would unschool but he had other plans.

Hee!  I like that quote.  After disastrous attempts at rigorously schooling my older son, after learning about unschooling and other alternative philosophies as he got older, after years of healing from the damage I did to him in his early years, I too thought that I'd unschool my daughter.  Then maybe, when she was around 7, if she wanted to, we might start some academics and likely follow a gently Waldorf approach.

Well, when she was two, she started asking for worksheets.  eyesroll.gif

We still *mostly* unschool, but when she wants to do academic stuff, we do.  (I know that can also be considered 'unschooling' when it's following the child's lead.)  And so she's doing grade 1-level math and reading and we do occasional lapbooks on various topics, which she loves.  But we're still very Waldorf-influenced and do lots of storytime, circle time, fingerplays and songs, free play with playsilks, etc etc.  We're VERY eclectic!!!  And my 2 children are VERY different from each other!

#21 of 50 Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM

I am.  My girls are 5 and 7.  We "use" the Thomas Jefferson Education philosophy.  (I say "use" because they're not old enough to really use the philosophy, but we read, read, read.  The TJE just really resonates with our family.) 

#22 of 50 Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM

My big girl is 5.5!!

#23 of 50 Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Here too.  I'm homeschooling my 5yo dd, she has a late bday and was eligible for Pre-k this year instead of Kindergarten.  I'm fairly confident she's gifted and she is working on many different levels mostly under her own direction and motivation.  I provide a wild mishmash of materials from HWOT, Miquon, etc.  But my Main Plan is:

• Read to her everyday  (we're working our way through the Magic Tree House and Magic School Bus series)
  • She reads to me everyday from her book of choice
  • Independent Reading, usually related to the human body and health since she is obsessed with that.
  • Some copywork writing occasionally using quality literature
  • Math (Miquon or one of the public school texts I picked up at a thrift store)

However, she doesn't always follow my plan and some days are spent building cities and trains, playing at the beach or park, digging in the backyard, or drawing and painting.

She also enjoys storytime at our local library, nature hikes, playing with her friends, gymnastics class, science class for hsers, and riding her bike :)

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#24 of 50 Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM

I lurk...I've been a member here a long time but don't post much.  I have a 4.5 yr old DD who just kinda goes with the flow.  She really likes me to read aloud, we take a lot of walks together and she is full of questions right now.  She occasionally likes to get out a workbook but I try to keep lots of stuff around for her to do.  Her and my middle son who is 6 are kind of unschooling right now.  My oldest is 9 and we are a little more rigorous with the schoolwork. 

#25 of 50 Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah - I'm so glad I posted!  I had second thoughts after posting my original message because I was worried maybe it really was all parents of older kids -- but here everyone is! :)

Maybe now that we've found each other we can share some resources we're using.  My oldest is in preschool now so I'm not following a formal homeschool program right now.  Just online worksheets and such.  I use these alphabet worksheets for teaching alphabet letters and these kindergarten math worksheets.  And mainly we're just focusing on math and reading so I guess those are my two go-to things.  Can't wait to hear what everyone else uses!

#26 of 50 Old 12-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Like I mentioned in my post, we don't use a curriculum or even worksheets.  (Both girls love their "puzzle books" offered by Highlights magazine however.  They are expensive but we enjoy them very, very much.)  We do have an alphabet puzzle.   Alphabet-oriented books can be fun (Dr. Seuss' ABC, Chicka Chicka..., and Ogres Ogres Ogres, but we get them because they are fun.  Mainly we read a lot, about nearly everything.  

Math at this age is mainly about counting, and I just can't stop them from counting.  We also play a lot of board games together, some "educational", others not, but all are useful, either because of counting dice, money, or graphs (Battleship).  Baking provides familiarity with measuring cups.  I don't make a point of "teaching" her the measurements, but simply use the vocabulary.  My 5yo especially loves her jigsaw puzzles and wooden "picture" blocks.  Those are just the wooden shape blocks which they lay out on the yoga mats so they don't slip.  Those are a great intuitive way to learn about shapes and their relationship to each other, even if you don't teach the names or the names simply don't "stick".

For science, well that's easy.  We just explore.  If they ask and I can answer, then I do, but exploring and wondering is the name of the game.  I give them some tools to play with, binoculars, measuring tape, etc, and let them loose.  And of course, more books-- hopefully in something of a story format, but they have enjoyed the "science" books as well, if they are done nicely and worth reading simply for their own sake.  My 5yo loves her guide books.  She'll pore over them for hours, telling herself little stories as she goes (though she doesn't want me to hear!)  Last bath time my oldest (almost 7yo) discovered that a wet washcloth held tightly over a yogurt tub full of water will hold in the water.  No one asked why.  I'm still researching that myself.  It's the wonder and the thrill of the discovery (on their very own!) that I value.  Pure joy!  And lots of giggles....

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#27 of 50 Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Well, if we're sharing.

My daughter turns 5 next week and is counting down the days.  That's math practice!  ;)

In all seriousness though, she does seem to be 'gifted', at least in a couple of areas.  She's mathy, for sure (apple, tree, all that stuff).  We 'unschool' in the sense that I don't require or expect any particular schedule or commitment or routine or "school day" from her in any way, shape or form.  And in fact, I had planned to UTTERLY unschool until at least age 7... but then she started *asking* for worksheets when she was 2.  Still, 99% of her time is spent in self-directed creative imaginative play.

Most days, we do something or other that's "schooley" but far from all days.  When we "do school" we do:

RightStart math (she's about 1/2 way through level B)

Dreambox learning (online math)

Reading Eggs online, or Progressive Phonics, for reading practice

A Beka 4 Cursive

That's really it right now in terms of 'curriculum'.  We've also done some lapbooks from Teacher's Book Bag and other sources, she really enjoyed those.  She's also really on a writing kick right now -- I love watching and following her natural, unprompted drives.  We did a very Montessori-inspired toddlerhood so I'm all about how their natural drives reflect their developmental readiness.  Anyway, I had always planned to do 'cursive first' but when she started spontaneously writing at age 3, it was all block letters -- just imitating what she saw in books and her games, I think.  So at this point, we're working on learning cursive, but since we only have a few letters so far, she still writes in block letters.  What she's just started recently is invented phonetic writing -- completely unprompted, she has just started doing this ALL THE TIME.  She wrote on her blackboard the other day "clozd tday becuz ufu thu snstom!"  That sort of thing.  So cute!

The 'plan' for the next couple of years or so, is to continue RightStart math, do Christopherus grade 1, we've got some K-2 Intellego unit studies, NOEO science, a few other things along those lines.  Maybe start History Odyssey 1 in another year or so... whenever her writing skills are up to it.  

She's also started violin lesson, is in 3 different dance classes, and does a little piano with me. What she really wants, though, is to play the bagpipes.

#28 of 50 Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM

My ds is 5 and we also have 3yo, but he basically just sits around with us and traces and cuts stuff:)

#29 of 50 Old 12-13-2011, 06:34 AM

I have a preschooler who I have no plans to send to preschool, but I will not be homeschooling k-12, so I don't really post here. We do a lot of fun play things.  I don't use worksheets/lesson plans or follow any type of premade curriculum.  :) 

#30 of 50 Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Waving ....

I lurk, mostly because what little I see written here about smaller children makes me feel woefully inadequate, like I'm not teaching my daughter enough. 

I have 4 children, with Baby 5.0 on the way. My oldest daughter is 17, in public school. With my younger daughter, age 5, we were planning on sending her to the local (fabulous) Latin school. When she didn't get in, we switched to Plan B -- we bought the school's curriculum, and I really like it. My twin boys are 3.5, and I'm not doing anything formal with them. 

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Tags
Homeschooling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page