Thinking of taking DS out of public School - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 13 and in 7th grade in public school. I'm getting calls & e-mails from teachers saying mostly all the same thing. He is not turning in work, he is very smart but unmotivated, he is unfocused in class. They say he has very low grades but they can't actually let him fail because they don't fail kids anymore. So, he glides through and at the end will turn in a few papers to bring his grade up. This is not new for him. He has been unmotivated for a long time regarding school, I don't know how to motivate him. 

I'm thinking of pulling him out to homeschool. I told him the public school is a waste of time if he's not going to do it. I told him if he is at home, he could get his work done and have more free time. I'm tired of fighting with him about school. I don't like our public school system here, we are in Virginia. I did not want to force him to homeschool but don't see any other choice. So I'm wondering if any of you would take your kids out of public school if you thought it was best for them. 

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM

In a heartbeat.  We are moving to NC in June/July and there is not a school even remotely like my ds2's public school here in CO.  So we will homeschool at least next year. 

#3 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I would BUT be realistic.  I wouldn't expect him to suddenly become enthusiastic about school.  You may need some deschooling time and/or a completely different approach than his current situation.  My kids are more motivated when they choose the topic and dive in.  Maybe that would work with your ds, but maybe not. 

Amy

CariOfOz likes this.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

At 13 I certainly wouldn't do so over his objections. But if he was willing, absolutely! 

I completely agree with AAK's suggestion concerning deschooling. If you're hoping to push him into learning more assertively and pro-actively at home, that's will likely ruin your relationship with him. If you're hoping his interest in learning will be re-ignited by homeschooling that's certainly possible, even likely, but it will require deschooling, patience and creativity.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM

What does he say? If he wants to homeschool, then I would definitely give it a shot. But if it's more of a consequence to not working hard and turning in work, then I would say no.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My DD isn't that age, but her teachers the last two years have been sure she could do the work but was choosing not to I math, and I was sure this was the case also. I finally insisted on getting her tested this year though because I was worried that more was going on. Through testing we discovered that she is lacking a lot of very fundamental skills. She is very bright and it was easy to assume she could do work she just can't do yet.

I suggest getting him tested either at school or through a tutor before making a final decision.
#7 of 7 Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Persons with learning disabilities, ADHD, or even bright but unchallenged, can appear "unmotivated." Determining the "why" of his lack of motivation could help you determine how/where his education should continue.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page