Questions about homeschooling and working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-25-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!  I am new to this community, and am glad that such a community exists for families.  Though this site is called "mothering" I am a soon to be father of twins (due March 2012).  I am currently in the Navy and I just completed medical training to become a Medical Laboratory Technician.  I have 3 years left with my current contract and I am probably going to complete my Bachelor's degree within that time and come out of the military (at least that is the plan for now).

My main questions concern my wife and I wanting to home school our children.  In the future, my wife and I are thinking about opening up a home daycare business where we will want to take on about 10 children or less, and home school our kids.  I am wanting to help out with the daycare and the schooling during the day and work part time at night (using my laboratory education to work  nights at a hospital part time).  My part time income would help to supplement the daycare money and provide some stability.  I have 2 Associate degrees and will have a Bachelor's degree by time my Navy career is over, and my wife just has her HS Diploma.  I told her that it is worth more to us as a family for her to stay home and take care of the kids than for her to go out and get a job that doesn't pay much just to break even on daycare.  

My wife and I are very close and our dream would be for us to be by each other's side all day.  If we could both work from home and never had to leave that would be our dream come true. I don't mind having to work if necessary, but it is important to me to be involved in the education of our kids.  I've even considered taking online schooling from institutions such as Penn Foster in childhood development and elementary education just to help us become more effective teachers.

I guess my main question for the community would be if anyone had any advice on good night jobs that are flexible and pay reasonably well.  I am a very open person and there are aren't many jobs I don't mind doing.  I don't mind changing my major if necessary as I have a few years to go.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas

#2 of 3 Old 12-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

A good one for a night job, especially if you are near a major HUB, is UPS. Good hours, good benefits, and they pay for a college class every semester as well. 

I've known lots of college students who worked for them nights, and they were always happy with it. 

Another, since you have some medical background, is night worker at group homes for the mentally ill or special needs adults - easy job 80% of the time since most of the clients are asleep and you just have to check on them every so often. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#3 of 3 Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Those are both good ideas.  Would you happen to know the job title of each of the jobs you mentioned?  I would like to look up more information on them, especially the caretaker job.  I want to read about things like educational requirements, salary, employment outlook, etc.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page