Can your 1st grader read this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

My 6 year old (who would be in kindergarten just based on age, but would probably fit better in a first grade class) can read that, but he's a very good reader for his age.  At this point in her first grade year my DD would have had trouble with it (but she may have a learning disability.)  Here is a link to the DIBELS benchmarks goals.  As you can see, a first grader at this point in the year is only expected to be able to read 20 words of a sample like that in one minute.  The way it's administered, the child has 3 seconds to read each word and if she can't get it in that time, the test giver tells her the word and she continues on until a minute has passed.  The number of words that were read correctly in that minute are counted.  So a first grader wouldn't need to be able to read the whole thing to "pass" the assessment; she would just need to read 20 words successfully in a minute, and those 20 words could be mixed in with ones she couldn't read and had to get help with. 

I just tested my 7.5  year old with this passage and he got 53 words right in 1 minute.  He also got 3 words wrong during that 1 minute.  If I was to put my ds in public school, I would have him be a 1st grader, but I consider him as just now, in January or February, ready to start 2nd grade work.  This reading assessment confirms that.

#32 of 48 Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

I have a 1st grader in K12 VA and we have to do dibels too!  I hate them and all the standardized testing practice our "teacher" adds as extra requirements, yuck!

Yes, he could read it with lots of help.  He had a similiar passage for his last dibels.  They time their words per min and the child knows they are being timed which makes him more nervous.  On a passage like this he got 45 wpm where as an easier one when he was not so nervous he'd do 60.

I did regular homeschool with my older son and we did hooked on phonics.  He was a much better reader.  The VA teacher has pushed me to push my second son, so much against my better judgement (and I pushed very little of the % she wanted me to).  For example, pounding site words into his brain in K instead of just sticking with the HOP that I knew worked, uhhh. 

#33 of 48 Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Hi Amy, my son is in first grade and his teacher says that he just took the DIBELS and scored far below the benchmark. He reads quite well at home and has a large collection of books that he can read with very little to no help and he knows more sight words than he's required to and more than others in his class. His school groups the kids by their scores and he is placed in the class with the highest achievers. I'm trying to find sample tests to help my son practice so that he's reading similar passages as what is expected from these tests and I noticed you say they are free online but I haven't been able to locate any. Could you please let me know where I can find sample tests. Thank you.

#34 of 48 Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deatheragel84 View Post

Hi Amy, my son is in first grade and his teacher says that he just took the DIBELS and scored far below the benchmark. He reads quite well at home and has a large collection of books that he can read with very little to no help and he knows more sight words than he's required to and more than others in his class. His school groups the kids by their scores and he is placed in the class with the highest achievers. I'm trying to find sample tests to help my son practice so that he's reading similar passages as what is expected from these tests and I noticed you say they are free online but I haven't been able to locate any. Could you please let me know where I can find sample tests. Thank you.

https://dibels.uoregon.edu/measures/

#35 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 04:58 AM

My six year old could read that, but I wouldn't expect a six year old to read that well.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#36 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Neither of my older two could have read that at 6 I don't think. 

And now they are fluent, confident readers. 

So really, who cares? Reading isn't a race and early reading predicts nothing afaik about later ability or, more importantly IMO, enjoyment.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#37 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I bribed my 5 year old (would be in K this year) to try to read this.  Normally, he'd need some reason to read this, like if it's instructions for building something or a monster/Halloween book.  He doesn't read just to humor me or to "practice."  Once he agreed to the bribe (a bag of popcorn from a vending machine), he read it pretty quickly, with normal intonation.  He stopped at "straight" and told me he didn't know that word, but when I asked him to try, he read it as "strain" or something like that.  He also said he didn't know the word "often" but then proceeded to read it correctly.  I printed this out with 14 pt font in Notepad, and he commented that the font was hard for him.  I'm curious how this type of test would normally be presented to kids?  In a book, on the screen, on a sheet of paper, a few sentences per page?  I know a large amount of text on a page discourages my son, and usually if there's a lot of text like in a chapter book, I point to the words or at least the beginning of each line, so he doesn't lose which line he's on.  For the test I gave him a paper to keep under each line so he could track it himself.  Also, he inserted a few words, which both my husband and I tend to do when reading out loud.  Like instead of "Mel jumped out of bed", he read "Mel jumped out of the bed."  Is that considered a mistake?  

Btw, my son is totally a sight reader.  He's kind of reverse engineering phonics rules, but we never focused on phonics in our reading together.  

#38 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Not at the beginning of the year, but before the end.

#39 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post

Also, he inserted a few words, which both my husband and I tend to do when reading out loud.  Like instead of "Mel jumped out of bed", he read "Mel jumped out of the bed."  Is that considered a mistake?

No, for the DIBELS assessment, inserting words doesn't count as a mistake.

#40 of 48 Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post

This is a practice DIBELS test that my son's 1st grade teacher sent me.  We homeschool through k12/our school district and the DIBELS is mandatory reading testing. 

Just curious as to how many other similarly aged kids would be able to read a passage like this. 

[QUOTE]The morning light filled the room. Mel jumped out of bed and put on
her clothes. She had a busy Saturday planned. She could not wait to get
started.
First, Mel and her mom made Mel’s favorite food. Her mom cut
a banana in half. Then Mel spread peanut butter on both sides. She
brought the two pieces together and ate her banana sandwich outside
in the sun.
Soon Mel’s big brother came out with some chalk. They drew a line
on the driveway. After putting on helmets, they skated along the line. Mel
went very slowly. She was just learning to skate. Her brother helped her
skate in a straight line and not fall down.
Now it was time for art. Mel went to the art box. Her mom often
filled it with fun things. Mel got an idea when she saw some socks. She
made a dog puppet and a bird puppet out of the socks. Then she wrote
a play about them. She asked her brother and mom to come watch.
They liked the show and clapped when it ended.
That night, Mel helped her mom make dinner. Then she read a book
until it was time for bed. When Mel turned out the light, she thought
about all the fun things she had done.[/QUOTE]

my 8-in-three-weeks 2nd grader could not read that.  Maybe he SHOULD be able to -- but i can tell you he'd not be able to do it

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#41 of 48 Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

My 6 year old (who would be in kindergarten just based on age, but would probably fit better in a first grade class) can read that, but he's a very good reader for his age.  At this point in her first grade year my DD would have had trouble with it (but she may have a learning disability.)  Here is a link to the DIBELS benchmarks goals.  As you can see, a first grader at this point in the year is only expected to be able to read 20 words of a sample like that in one minute.  The way it's administered, the child has 3 seconds to read each word and if she can't get it in that time, the test giver tells her the word and she continues on until a minute has passed.  The number of words that were read correctly in that minute are counted.  So a first grader wouldn't need to be able to read the whole thing to "pass" the assessment; she would just need to read 20 words successfully in a minute, and those 20 words could be mixed in with ones she couldn't read and had to get help with. 

That sounds like a very stressful test to put a 7yo through. greensad.gif

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#42 of 48 Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM

My first grader just read it easily.

caffix.gif

#43 of 48 Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Nope...my 1st grader is 7 and he is not at that reading level yet.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#44 of 48 Old 12-27-2013, 01:04 PM

I agree with what one post wrote regarding DIBELS I don't personally think it is an appropriate gage of reading ability. One of the requirements for k-1 is the ability to read nonsense words such as Cav, zas, nel, pid etc. Most homeschooling families do not 'drill' these nonsense words yet that is a very common practice in public school.

As for the original question. My oldest daughter in 1st grade could have read that and then rolled her eyes at you and gone back to reading something more challenging. She read at a 6th grade level in 1st grade. My youngest daughter would not have been able to read that in 1st grade. She was diagnosed with an astigmatism the beginning of Kindergarten and we spent all of kindergarten re-connecting what the letter sounds were with what the letter properly looked like. In 1st grade she was working on blends and was more at a kindergarten level.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#45 of 48 Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Yes, he is a young first grader, but if he was in school he would be considered advanced in reading.

#46 of 48 Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM

My son is a 1.6 1st grader.. meaning he is in 1st grade for 6 months. He read this with 5 mistakes.

I'm not sure what is required.

#47 of 48 Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM

my oldest could have easily read that as a first grader. My other child is 3.5 and a non reader.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#48 of 48 Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

My oldest could not have read that when he was in first.  But my youngest could have in first grade.  My middle child could probably have read it, too.   FWIW, my kids are in school, not homeschooled at this time (though we are thinking we will next year, which is why I am lurking on these boards!).  We did homeschool my son using K12 when he was in first grade.  He had to repeat Kindergarten with the K12 curriculum.  I found it more advanced that our local public school so had he started with K12, yea, he probably would have been able to read it using their first grade curriculum.  

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page