Anyone spending time on Chinese New Year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I aspired to learn about Chinese New Year last year and missed the boat.  Hoping to do more this year!  Any suggestions?

I found a wonderful book about a female Chinese American pilot and read it to the girls last night--they loved it!  Sky High:  The True Story of Maggie Gee. 

#2 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Not really. What about New Year do you want to focus on? Or are you using the celebration as a way to focus on China in general?

My eldest dd just got back from a brief trip to China yesterday, and her younger siblings are taking an interest in her travels, but that's really the only "spending time" we've done. Maps, Olympics, the usual stuff. No real New Year focus. Have you seen this stuff?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM

We usually go over to the near by Traditional Chinese Medicine school for a potluck and performance. But this year I think we are going to have a party instead. Our focus is going to be on representation, as in why do they use certain colors and images. We will also cook and look at maps. DS is only 5 so our focus is probably different. One of our favorite picture books is Rikki Tikki Tembo, which is an old folk tale from China so that will make it's way out as well.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM

We are reading two picture books as child read-alouds, creating a paper bag puppet for reading color words practice, and beginning our study of Mandarin that week. Also, we'll probably visit the local children's museum and participate in any activities they have there (I'm lazy, so I'll let them do all the planning). =)

Splendiferous

#5 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM

We will be focusing on Lunar New Year from a Korean perspective as my husband is Korean-American. Every year we read several books in honor of the holiday including "Dumpling Soup", make mandu for mandu soup, play the traditional game of Yut-Nori, and enjoy fruits popular in South Korea for dessert. Our local Korean society will also be hosting a celebration that we plan to attend as well. 

My daughter will also be receiving a hanbok and shoes from my MIL as a special Lunar New Year gift.

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM

I forgot until too late last year too, I want to see if anyone else adds any ideas.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page