Math learning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 5yr old who is very active. He reads at a 4th grade level and we have started doing unit studies.  I was a former English teacher so math is not my thing.  Can anyone recommend some good ways/curriculum for teaching math in a hands-on and interactive way?  I don't want lots of worksheets/workbooks.  Thanks!!

Happy homeschooling homeschool.gif, cosleeping fambedsingle2.gif, babywearing femalesling2.GIFmama to DS 3/06 superhero.gif, DS 12/10 jog.gif,  and wife to DH hug.gif.

blogging.jpg   nocirc.gifcd.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Miquon Math might be a good fit. It is very hands-on, with the foundation of the program being "discovery-oriented math lab" activities. It is fairly advanced conceptually, and introduces all four operations in a basic way within the first "year" (i.e. the first two books). There are workbooks, but they're really a place for exploration and symbolic representation of things learned through manipulatives. Definitely not pages of drill and practice. 

Miquon is inexpensive: about $100-120 for basic manipulatives and all the books you'd need for K-4 math. It's old, so you can often find it used.

The one drawback Miquon is that it's a little chaotic and requires some parental background reading to appropriately administer. It's not a scripted, day-by-day program where mom just turns the pages and does what she's told. The parent really has to understand the program's philosophy, conceptual approach and terminology. Personally I think that's actually a hidden advantage: as a parent you end up understanding this very basic math in a much deeper way as a result of this effort. 

If you want something that's equally hands-on but more conventionally laid out as a curriculum (and if cost is not an obstacle) you might look at RightStart Math. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 PM

I think I may give RightStart Math a go with my DD who will be K next year.  I have a feeling she may not be as mathematically inclined like her brothers and I found it used.  I've heard Math U See is also pretty hands on. 

#4 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Free curriculum I have saved as PDF on iPad so it doesn't even have to be printed out! I call it math games with DD b/c that's truly what it feels like. Have to adjust for home context at points but that hasn't felt too difficult. I adjust "stories" behind math games to fit books, manipulatives I have, what DD is interested in... Some manipulatives to buy but not all at once. Really enjoying it, just 10-15 minutes 3-4x per week.

http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/CSMPProgram/Primary%20Disk/Start.html

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#5 of 8 Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM

I'd also recommend RightStart.  There are workbooks but it's not "workbooky", most of the work is hands-on. It's a little pricey but if you stay with the program, most manipulatives are reused with each level, so it's not as expensive year after year.

Something else he might like is Life of Fred, which now has an elementary program.  There are no worksheets, just some "Your Turn" questions at the end of each chapter-- which are usually fun and, really, quite silly.  :)  Life of Fred is a story book that teaches math, rather than a traditional "math book".  It isn't "hands on", but it's still really neat.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#6 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I checked this out and really like it...plus it's free!  Thanks for sharing this :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post

Free curriculum I have saved as PDF on iPad so it doesn't even have to be printed out! I call it math games with DD b/c that's truly what it feels like. Have to adjust for home context at points but that hasn't felt too difficult. I adjust "stories" behind math games to fit books, manipulatives I have, what DD is interested in... Some manipulatives to buy but not all at once. Really enjoying it, just 10-15 minutes 3-4x per week.
http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/CSMPProgram/Primary%20Disk/Start.html

Happy homeschooling homeschool.gif, cosleeping fambedsingle2.gif, babywearing femalesling2.GIFmama to DS 3/06 superhero.gif, DS 12/10 jog.gif,  and wife to DH hug.gif.

blogging.jpg   nocirc.gifcd.gif 

#7 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Many people have mentioned RightStart, which can be pricey.  However, I purchased just their game's kit and use it alongside our other math (we use Singapore, but that is probably more workbooky than you would like).  I just wanted to mention it because that kit covers a LOT of math and it is in a fun way.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#8 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM

So glad it helped!  We're sticking with it until/ unless it doesn't work anymore.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)

Tags
Homeschooling , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page