What do you use from the Critical Thinking Co.? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious, as we are finishing a few of their books and I was thinking of getting something different to change things up a bit.  This year, my almost-10 year old has used Balance Math Level 1, Dr. Funster's Word Benders and Spelling DooRiddles, B1?  Ds1, age 7, has been using Spelling DooRiddles A1.  I think they're fantastic! 

I've been looking at Balance Benders (beginning) and maybe Word Roots. 

I'm also interested in suggestions for a 4-5 year old who wants to do "homework" when his older siblings work on things. 

TIA!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 PM

My 5YO loves MindBenders and Building Thinking Skills so much. She gets really excited when she sees a MindBenders puzzle in one of her workboxes. HTH

Splendiferous

#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much splendiferous!  It's good to hear your recommendation.

Anyone else???

#4 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Both kids have enjoyed "Building Thinking Skills".  My oldest LOVES Balance Benders-- she will do them in her free time for fun.  I also love MindBenders, but I have my kids draw the grid on separate paper so we can reuse those puzzles with the next in line.  The Mindbenders is the only one I do that with.  

I also used the book for building visual skills.  I think it was good at helping my younger with some visual discrimination things.  

The only thing I really hated from them was their complete Language Arts book for grade 2.  It was such a waste of money for us.  I was really disappointed in it. 

We didn't care for Editor in Chief either, but that was because we ordered it a bit prematurely.  DD didn't have the grammar skills in place to be able to find the errors.  It was frustrating.  So, I put it away and will pull it out when our skills are more developed.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  Okay, I ordered some materials last night, including Mind Benders and Balance Benders.  I was on the verge of ordering the "Building Thinking Skills for ds2, but the price put me off.  He is only 4 now so I was looking at the PreK book, but even when he's 5 and doing Kindergarten-level work is "Building ThInking Skills" really that much better than your average, $5 activity book from Target?

Tags
Education , Homeschooling , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page