Mothering Forum banner

Minnesota home schooling

583 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Magical_Mama 
#1 ·
A little about me. I'm a mother of four, pregnant with baby 5. I stay at home and raise my children, we are working towards being off the grid. Anyway, my oldest turned six in December. I chose not to enroll her since legally I don't need to decide until she turns 7. I really want to home school but have no idea how to start this process. Please any help and info would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
If you were to homeschool, do you see yourself using an already created, purchased curriculum, or are you a "make your own way" kind of person? Do you think it's important to keep up with what the schools expect children of a certain age should be able to do, or is that an unnecessary burden? Do you feel confident in your own ability to teach your own children? Do you know what your kids know at this point?

I think your first order of buisness it to figure out what you think you'd like to do, if you were to homeschool. There are many good reads (check your local library, both in the adult section and the parent-teacher resource section that many children's sections have) and see what you find.

There are many different approaches, and the beautiful thing is as a homeschooler, you can pick what fits your needs and your family.

#3 ·
minnesoa is pretty relaxed for homeschool. do you or dh have a bachelors degree? if one of you has a degree then you just have to report intent to homeschool to the district and what standardized testing you will use. if you dont have a degree your lesson plans have to be approved.

lots of good resources in mn. checkout mn homeschool alliance they offer free intro workshops

www.homeschoolers.org

#4 ·
Actually, it's a lot easier than that now that the law has changed. Here's what's required now: http://www.examiner.com/homeschooling-in-mankato/what-will-be-required-of-minnesota-homeschoolers-under-the-new-law and here's the form to turn in: http://www.examiner.com/homeschooling-in-mankato/mha-releases-new-reporting-forms-letters-to-superintendents-and-more

You don't have to report anything to the state until your child is 7 that school year.

There are many ways to homeschool and no right way. Don't feel the need to recreate "school at home," since children don't really learn best that way anyway. Follow your child's lead, make your home a rich environment for learning and have fun. :)

I've been HSing all of my kids (ages 13, 11, 8, 4 and 3 months) from the start here in MN. I'd be happy to answer any questions. We love it!

~Alicia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.