Are there any classical/trivium homeschoolers here? How about a support thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am transitioning to classical homeschooling ala' "The Well Trained Mind" with my 8 year old.   My dd is in 2nd grade and we are doing Story of the World II, Writing with Ease, Daily Guided Grammar Lessons, Spelling Workout, Singapore Math, and learning about the Universe in Science.  

The one thing I am having trouble finding is a Latin book for her.  She didn't like Song School Latin at all, she doesn't like the songs!  Most fo the Latin books I've found are for older kids.  Anyone know of one that is fun but has a little more meat to it than Song School Latin?

flowersforyou.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM

I'm just getting started on the classical/trivium type schooling with my kindergartener. It didn't seem to matter which homeschool methodology I liked-- this is how she learns, lol.  Any advice/ things you wish you'd done with a trivium kindergartener?

If I come across a Latin link, I'll let you know!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
#3 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM

I'm a wannabe but unable to follow the WTM because it just didn't mesh with the LD issues here.  I am using WWE, but on a schedule that is extremely delayed compared to the WTM layout.   I tried using SOTW but frankly it goes into waaaaaaay too much detail.  I will save that for 5th grade or above.  For now I am using the Story of Western Civilization workbooks by EPS.  I will also use their Story of the U.S.A. series.  They are reading comprehension workbooks with questions to answer.  They are a better format for our son.  Also I have discarded the 4 year history cycle as being way too slow to hold his interest.  I really only want to touch on each element of history at this age, not going into much detail.   I will have him go through the workbooks at whatever pace works for him.  I supplement the workbooks with Brainpop videos and quizzes and children's books.

SSL is really just for fun.  If a child doesn't get into the songs, it really won't work.  I am going to order the Kindle version of Getting Started with Latin by William Linney.  We will use it in the Kindle app on the computer with along with the free audio files at the author's website.  I  bought some Latin's Not So Tough materials but I can tell just by looking that they will not engage my student until after he already has some understanding of Latin.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#4 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM

We use SSL, GSWL, and CC memory work for Latin for our 5YO.

When we use GSWL, I make it a little fun by making puzzles to match up Latin / English words, use sidewalk chalk outside, let her use dry erase markers on the windows, or other activities.

One thing we do is find real books related to new vocabulary in GSWL. For example, the first word taught in GSWL is "nauta" (sailor). I checked out books about sailing and sailors, and every time I read the word "sailor", DD had to jump up and yell "NAUTA". It was hilarious.

In a nutshell, however, learning Latin isn't fun. LOL

Splendiferous

Tags
Homeschooling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page