Jumping back into Homeschooling next year - 5th grade - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies,

My husband and I have decided to HS our oldest again next year. We HSd her for Kindergarten. She would like to be back at home, and we are fine with that.  I will be unschooling science and history (make it more interest driven), but, I would like something that gives us some structure for English and Math in case she would like to return to school at a later date.  Her current school follows Singapore; so, I was thinking I should stay with that, or perhaps Saxon?  I also was looking into K12 for the 5th grade English.  I have heard a lot of complaints about K12 are when people are following the whole porogram and therefore do not have time for it all.  I am also looking into Stanford's EPGY for math or  Language arts.

Any advice reccomendations?   I would really appreciate it.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

On the math front I would definitely stick with Singapore! Reading between the lines (you're considering EPGY) I'm guessing your dd is academically capable and advanced, so in that case I would definitely stay far far away from Saxon. It's typically absolutely deadly for quick, intuitive learners. I've also noticed that over the past 15 years or so the formerly popular EPGY math choice for gifted homeschoolers has given way to Singapore since the latter is so much less expensive and serves the same group of learners just as well. 

My dd8 has recently completed Singapore Primary Math and we're using a book called "Challenge Math" by Ed Zaccarro to bridge her math learning to the point where I think she's ready for one of Singapore's secondary programs. We've been using Challenge Math as an enrichment / supplemental program for a few months already, and I think it would work very well alongside the last couple of grade levels of Singapore Primary (maybe from 5B or 5A onwards). It explores a lot of interesting math applications and concepts, and teaches excellent problem-solving skills and tactics. 

We don't use a curriculum for English / Language Arts at all, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 3 Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my daughter will be in 5th grade next year. i'm considering winning with writing, growing with grammar, and soaring with spelling for LA (all the same publisher).  we currently use BJU and really like it, but she is a fairly proficient writer now, so we're ready to move on to something less expensive and less time intensive.  for math, we use and love CLE.  she's been with that since grade 2, so we will stick with it for sure. in your situation, i'd stick with singapore.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page