Art/Art history Curriculm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I guess we have officially moved from  unschooling to something else.

I am looking for an art/art history curriculum for DS11.  Yes I realize they are different things, one can teach art and then there is the history of art.  I am looking at 2 possible programs right now.

1. Meetthemasters.com   DS loves online classes and this seems to fit his learning style.  A bit of history and a bit of creativity.  Affordable and not too much for me to do

2. Atelier - DVD based.  Claims to have both history and creativity.  Not online and significantly more $$.    Could be more 'crafty' than 'Art' and while this one came highly recommended I'm not sure.

FWIW, Kiddo loves 'art', but has no education so far about art history.  Must be a secular program.  Getting books from the library about artists isn't going to work.

Thoughts, ideas?  Kiddo is 11, so I need something at that level or higher for material.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not familiar with Atelier.  But we love Meet the Masters.  The history lessons are informative and not 'boring', the art lessons are useful, the projects themselves are very nice.  

You might also want to look at Harmony Fine Arts.  They have many different programs for different ages.  We're currently working through the middle school course "Ancient Art and the Orchestra" with my 13yo son -- it's a combined art history and music appreciation course.  (There's no connection between the art and the music, it's just that you get a schedule of activities for both).    

http://www.harmonyfinearts.com/index.php

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#3 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Ohhhhhh I like harmony too.  I will need to keep that one in mind for 'later'.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Oh and there's Artistic Pursuits... many of the Harmony Fine Arts programs use that as one of the spines, but you can always use it on its own as well.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM

I love Artistic Pursuits as well--it teaches art and art history in the same book. :)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am planning on getting Atelier this fall. I haven't used it yet to give you any review. I do think it is more about creative art/drawing & painting - line, shape, color, space, etc. than art history. One thing I can tell you is that if you email through their website they have sales reps that you can speak to. I wrote and was emailed back within a couple days with an invitation to call the rep if I had more questions. Might be a good idea since there aren't an overwhelming number of detailed reviews online. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page