pulling this kids out halfway through the year? Help! in VA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm having a hard time finding info about pulling the kids out DURING the year. HELP!

I'm in VA...

Attila the Honey likes this.

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#2 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Many people do this. Generally you just file your notice of intent or whatever it's called in your jurisdiction. I'm in Canada, but I found this information with a quick bit of Googling.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Hi I am in Hampton too.  I waited until the beginning of this year even though I really wanted to pull mine out last year. I believe you still have to give your notice of intent to the school district unless you are using a religious exemption. 

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Seems the same there as here in KY, just send in the notice of intent. They just need it processed before they're start worrying about lack of attendance, usually within 2 weeks of pulling out. To be kind and not stir up trouble and bad feelings I did it all in a week, first told the teacher, then submit the paperwork to the district, then informed the school office, then didn't bring him back the next Monday. I did look into Virginia homeschooling as I want to move there in a couple years. You are supposed to keep records of studies and school days, and a portfolio of work I think. If not using religious exemption for end of year evaluations you'll have options: testing, teacher certification, or portfolio review.

#5 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM

In NY (or maybe it's just our district?!), you are required to notify the school district within 14 days removing kids from school.  Good luck with your decision!

#6 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM

As soon as I gave notice to the superintendent's office, my kids were officially not enrolled any longer.  I went directly to the superintendent's office to hand them my letter of intent in person on their first day out of school which meant they had it immediately.  I had also let the school know in advance what our plans were but just did the "official paperwork" on that first day not attending.  I had also waited for a semester break/Christmas break.

We're also in KY where it is simple.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page