If I have another evening like tonight, I just may throw in the towel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

DS 11 is pulling out all the stops right now.  I think I just need some internet hugs.  

Long story short, I'm slowly moving from unschooling to 'school at home' for a number of reasons but mainly because it's going to help DS in the long run and it's in his best interest.  The transition has been rocky at best and I expected that.  DS is well, stubborn.

Right now we are doing Rosetta Stone French, his online program from CTY (science now, was math before)- which he LOVES, a traditional school book for history, lots of library books for reading and a supplemental writing workbook.  Total time per day is maybe 3 hrs max- depends how much reading DS does.

He also does swim team 3x a week for an hour in the pool. 

The push back I'm getting from DS is incredible.  You would think I have him sitting at a desk for 8 hrs a day.

I know this is a game of will power with him and I can not give him.  The drama, the 'I forgot', the "I don't know".  I hate making him go back and re-do everything but honestly if you can not remember what you just did then you need to re-do it.  (I know he knows the answer, its a game he is trying to play)

And I gave him 2 days to find a 'free' reading book on from our book shelves.  He chose not to find one, so I gave him one, now hes complaining how 'boring' the book is.  Sorry son, you chose not to find a book, once you finish this book and do a short summary then you can pick a new book.  Summaries are required at this point.  Nothing painful, just a quick paragraph about the book.  This is different than a literature book which we actually analyze and such.

However, right now its a good thing its a holiday and its night so the school office is closed.  Otherwise I might just enroll him LOL.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

No advice because I am there with one of my kids right now.  She was unschooled for years and last year we switched to school at home at her request.  Initially, things went really well.  She was far more happy and balanced than she had been in years.  But, for the last two months, all she does is push back about school work and house rules.  I think it is puberty, but I'm not sure.  

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think that I'm with you, too, with my 7 yo ds.  After a 5 day vacation at his grandparents, I asked him to do 40 minutes of violin & piano (20 minutes of each).   Usually he does 30 minutes a day.  So, after 5 days off, he can't even remember how to hold his bow!  Really?  I just had to walk away & compose myself.  And then, he can't remember how to play "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".  Really?

Sigh... off to scream into a pillow.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Things are "better" now.  He is back to working on 'school', things are getting done, lessons are being retained.  I'm keeping the towel for now  lol

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I'm so glad to hear this! Yeah, keep that towel, lol!

I'll be honest, when you said that you had moved away from unschooling because this was better for him, but then described what "this" was looking like, as an unschooler I couldn't really think how to respond. dizzy.gif In retrospect I guess saying "This too shall pass" would have been about right. Sometimes you just have to keep following your instincts even when the day-to-day is miring you down. Good for you!

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I know its not a box curriculum or such.. I'm still straddling the fence between something formal and unschooling- probably always will be.  Whatever 'this' looks like, works for DS.  I just need to keep that towel handy.  In fact, I will keep extra to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

I'm so glad to hear this! Yeah, keep that towel, lol!

I'll be honest, when you said that you had moved away from unschooling because this was better for him, but then described what "this" was looking like, as an unschooler I couldn't really think how to respond. dizzy.gif In retrospect I guess saying "This too shall pass" would have been about right. Sometimes you just have to keep following your instincts even when the day-to-day is miring you down. Good for you!

Miranda

Tags
Homeschooling
User Tag List