Math help for 7 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need help! This is my first year hs my 7 year old dd.  She has traumatic brain injury which has affected her memory.  We have had a good year so far except where math is concerned.  I have her do math every day to help retain memory.  Most days she forgets how to count and what comes before or after another number.  One thing she has trouble with is when her assignments ask what comes before 143 for instance.  She can't remember. This turns into a screaming fit everyday.  She does good with addition and subtraction.  I've been looking for an app or something to help and I can't seem to find anything.  I'm thinking of just saying to heck with the workbooks. Anyone dealing with similar situation and have advice?  I would be so thankful orngbiggrin.gif

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#2 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM

I don't have similar experience, but what popped into my head was printing out the numbers (I'm not sure if I'd do 0-9, 1-10, or 0-10... maybe the latter) in a fairly large size and then hanging them, in order, on the wall.

Because most elementary classrooms do this with the alphabet - I have firsthand memories of using this reference in first grade to help me remember whether H came before or after I or whatever.

I would be thinking about the parts of her brain function that have not been impaired - for example, is her memory of things she SEES better, or her memory of things she HEARS? And then try to provide support that plays on her strengths.

I realize the list of numbers (heck, you could go to 20, or 50, or 100 if you were motivated enough) would not help her figure out what comes before 144 per se, but if she understands she only has to change the last digit, it can help her to see that 3 comes before 4. But if she doesn't have that concept down... I guess I'd still think this visual reference would help solidify the numbers before moving on to this. (My kid is 6, not 7, but she would not be able to tell me what came before 144 yet, FYI).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I do use visual charts I just wanted her to understand the pattern of the numbers .  But after talking to several people I guess it is ok that she can't grasp that concept yet. smile.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM

*sigh* I wrote a longer response earlier today but my internets ate it.  :(  So, sorry if this is a little brief and terse I'm just too annoyed to type it all again lol...

Basically, I was suggesting trying a curriculum that's very hands on and conceptual, like RightStart.  It uses an abacus so she can have a physical and visual aid to figuring out her numbers.  And she can use it as long as she needs.  It also uses games for reinforcement, and occasional songs/poems as mnemonics.  It emphasizes conceptual understanding over memorization -- which does happen eventually through the use of games and just habit, of course, but you can use the abacus as long as you need it.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#5 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM

My 7 year old really likes the rocket math app.  It's only 99 cents I think.

We use a lot of hands on stuff, like unit blocks and an abacus.

#6 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 PM

I'm not sure if this would help; it might be more simple than you wanted, but...

When my daughter was six she had a difficult time remembering too (she has epilepsy and her anti-seizure drugs made her brain foggy and her memory was horrible.)  We didn't homeschool, but one thing we used at home really helped her.  She had a small number line (smaller than a ruler - ~ 8" long x 1" wide) that went from 0-100 and we laminated it.  You could make them for the 200's, 300',s. etc.  It helped her to visualize the number patterns.  Like your daughter, my daughter was fine with addition and subtraction, but number patterns were difficult at the time and her first grade class did a lot of number pattern worksheets. 

edited for clarification

#7 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!  I'm looking into other math curriculum's.  I'm not sure what would work best yet but I know that horizon workbooks are not the answer.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page