Creating a richer environment when you live an ordinary life. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I homeschooled in Decatur , Ga. I had a lot of free community events to lean into. My new city has some of these kinds of things but my kids are back to a brick and mortar school now.

http://www.examiner.com/arts-in-atlanta/several-dancers-core-lunchtime-the-studio-and-salon
for a free lunch and dance show

http://carlos.emory.edu/child-family-programs

for lunch and learn lectures

http://www.fernbank.edu/
free forest walks, free observatory times in the evenings and special classes year round

http://atlantasdekalb.blogspot.com/2010/06/log-cabin-storytelling-at-dekalb.html

log cabin storytelling and crafts at the history center

I could go on and on. There's a lot out there.. you just have to make the effort to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since I last posted, our plans for next year have changed, and we won't be living in the same city. Kids are on spring break this week, and we had hoped to do some traveling, but it didn't pan out because dh needs to work. So yesterday, we did a day on mass transit. We traveled the city end to end, stopped in a few places and strolled and checked things out, and found some cool (and free) fun. It was a long day but a great success, and I imagine we will do it again. You can only hit a few stops in a day, and there's a whole other line, plus bus lines, waiting to be discovered.

Today is another "staycation" day, and right now, kids are making paper animals, and I have a picnic chilling in the fridge to take out for lunch outside.

We used to have all that "extraordinary" stuff in our life--bees, chickens, dairy goats, sheep, gardens--and I miss it like crazy, I really do, but this is where we are right now.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

So yesterday, we did a day on mass transit. We traveled the city end to end, stopped in a few places and strolled and checked things out, and found some cool (and free) fun. It was a long day but a great success, and I imagine we will do it again. You can only hit a few stops in a day, and there's a whole other line, plus bus lines, waiting to be discovered.

Little kids especially love buses and trains.  We are lucky in our region to have ferries as well.  The trip across the Puget Sound and back is exciting and relatively cheap for walk-ons.  Just taking the bus instead of the car can make things exciting now and then.

We like going to the farmers market.  We have several to choose from including one big one open 7 days a starting this time of year.  Buying a CSA share can mean a trip to a vegetable farm for pick up.  That would take a drive if you live in town, but is otherwise pretty cheap especially if the kids get to run around.

Do they allow chickens in your town?  A small flock of chickens can keep kids busy and they are so much fun.  So many communities are allowing them now.  I used to take care f my neighbor's chickens when they went on vacation.  That's a great way to enjoy them without owning them.  We are in 4-H and are doing the poultry project, but we are also doing one project called "Horseless Horse", which we are doing as a family not with our group.  Some of the activities are to visit a tack store, a veterinarian etc.  No horse required!

My girls got to dogsit for a week.  (We don't have a dog.)  They were paid handsomely and rose to the task.

Today we are headed to open gym at the gymnastics center, though that is a drive but is otherwise super cheap.  I like to combine that with other errands we need to do.  When we stop at the grocery store, I try to let the girls work the self-checkout.  They are 5 and 7 and love that stuff.  Of course, even if we weren't paying for open gym, just a trip to a different park and bigger library can really make the day.  Some days we visit our little toy store when their allowance jars are getting full enough.  Oh, they love that day!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to add something new and wonderful that has been making our ordinary days feel like magic. WALKS! Especially now that the sun is out and my almost 2 dd is able to walk without a stroller. 

We live in a very hilly neighborhood and watching dd explore the rocks, the "flouw-ahs", the trees, has been so fulfilling. 

We have never seen her express so much happiness and contentment. luxlove.gif Makes mama so happy.

Also, we have been turning off tv in mornings (she loves Sprout) and turning on Pandora. 

Yesterday we made oatmeal cookies, and she helped add flours/sugars in. 

Anyways, I have been encouraged by your thoughts, and thanks OP for starting this thread, because there are many days when I feel so "blah"

Tags
Homeschooling
User Tag List