Looking to next year. . . - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great thread. Glad to find all these great ideas. We use K12 curriculum for my 9 yo dd, as a base, but supplement it with a lot of other stuff. Some of the things that worked for her last year:

1]Life of Fred (Fractions)

2]Khan Academy (for understanding some of the math concepts)

3]IXL.com (Got a membership through a group that costed only $20 for the entire year. She got lots and lots of practice with this one)

4] Math Olympiad Contest Problems for Elementary and Middle Schools, Vol. 1 by Dr.George Lenchner(for her math club and contests)

Wow, we are math heavy love.gif

5]Discovery Education for Science and Social Studies and a whole lot of other stuff (GA homeschoolers get this for free)

Though we try to homeschool the whole year, we are going to try new ones like:

1] Art of problem solving pre-algebra (videos are free online)

2] Some kind of experiment-based science curriculum (looking for ideas)

3] Institute for excellence in writing course (dd9 is a gifted writer)

4] Still looking for grammar curriculum supplement

5]Story of the world vol.2 (may be cds with the workbooks)

For dd4 , it is going to be more starfall, ixl,explode the code and lots and lots and lots of reading by mama joy.gif

Homeschooling mom to my sweet little kids joy.gif   I blog at http://newlearningpath.wordpress.com

#32 of 36 Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 AM

I really want to use the simply charlotte mason online planner. I wantto keep up with whateveryone is doing. We tried planners but everyone keeps loosing them:o

Oak Meadow didn't work for any of the boys. I was really bummed about it.

But, they are happy with what we are doing now. our biggest change is leaving our VA. It will be nice to loosen up a bit. The kids need some freedom to focus on a subject without having a looming requirement for History even though science is what they really want to do right now.

My fourth child is really into reading. So, we have been playing with letters. That is such a surprise after the first three. They just were not interested and my third child is just now reading after some struggles with speech delays.

I will be busy for sure. I will be solo parenting for a year, too. And moving...it is going to be a whirlwhind...again.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#33 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 AM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread! thanks to everyone who's posted...esp. the Kers for all the great ideas as I've got a 3 and 4 yo, so I've been looking at things for that level in particular. 

Mine being so young and not having a very structured school day at this point, we mostly read....but, there is lots of learning taking place and it happens year round. This past year, their favorites:

phonics on starfall

BOB books

lots of trips to the library and reading great children's books from book lists I've found such as Before Five in a Row

The Jane Belk Moncure "first steps to reading" and math books

Bible stories and crafts, fingerplays, fine/gross motor skills and reading lists found on this site: http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/

picking fruit from local farms

baking

nature walks

lots of crafts and pretend play

pre-ballet/tap for 4yo

we're moving into using:

HWT Pre-K "my first school book" CD, magnetic board and play dough with letter cards for handwriting

Happy Phonics games for phonics

Family Math for math games

pattern blocks

continuing with Bible reading from http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/ and memorizing scriptures from this cd (great songs for kids): http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Em-Your-Heart-Vol/dp/B001EJH4SW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1331805261&sr=1-1

Leapfrog videos for numbers and letters

lots and lots of books from the library and great children's books lists

more "field trips" to local farms once the strawberries, blueberries and later apples and pumpkins are in season

getting outside to run around, play 

probably continue ballet for 4yo

#34 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace and Granola View Post

Does anyone have recommendations for handwriting/fine motor activities for my 5yo ds who hates to do anything involving a pen/pencil/crayon/marker?

http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/gross-motor-skills/207Z3mommy-tip

these should work for a 5yo as well....she will be updating her site with a curriculum for 5yos this summer too if you want to check back.

Grace and Granola likes this.
#35 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM

I'm sooo new here but will add what we are/will be using...I'm looking for some company! I find it difficult to find many others using Oak Meadow.

I have a 2nd grader and a K'er now.  I am just getting going with Oak Meadow K and 2nd.

My K'er is/will be using:

OM K

All About Reading 1

Rightstart Math A

My 2nd grader is/will be using:

OM 2

SL Readers 

BJU Math

BJU English

WWE

All About Spelling

#36 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM

i think i've narrowed our choices down...  all subject to change of course.orngtongue.gif

5th GRADE
Science - Apologia Zoology & Journal Notebook
History - Veritas Press online class
Math - CLE grade 5
Spelling - Apples and Pears or Dictation
Writing - IEW Level SWI A or Essentials in Writing Grade 5
Grammar -  No idea??

Latin - Prima Latina?

3rd GRADE
Science - Apologia Zoology and Junior Notebook
History - Veritas Press online class
Math - CLE Grade 3
Spelling - Apples and Pears
Writing - IEW SWI A or Essentials in Writing Grade 3
Cursive - Handwriting Without Tears
Phonics - HOP Master Reader (he's working on this now, so if we finish it, I'll just focus on spelling only)
Grammar - ??

We'll also incorporate some art and extracurricular stuff through our co-op and local sports.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page