Learning a foreign language? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about teaching Chinese to kids in my area as a way to get me started with home schooling before my child gets old enough for school.

Does anyone have any experience teaching a foreign language?  Do people include foreign languages in their home schooling? Any issues I should worry about offering to teach kids after school? 

Jessica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 AM

You are Chinese?

My kids have had a Mexican mother's helper when they were small, 2 years of Rosetta Stone LA Spanish and have been going to a Columbian woman's half-day class once a week for this academic year.  I did not choose Mandarin because it is a much bigger time investment mainly because of what it takes to read it at all.

#3 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 AM

It would be easy if you could create opportunities for them to interact with people speaking different languages.

My husband and I speak to my daughter in different languages (indian) and we have a helper at home who speaks a third indian language. Though shes not fully speaking but shes comfortably using words from all of them to communicate.

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

I am an American, but spent several years in China. I enjoy writing the Chinese characters - its so fun! 

Quote:
Though shes not fully speaking but shes comfortably using words from all of them to communicate.

I think this is important, perhaps I just need to find some games or things to do and introduce words they can mix in with English instead of worrying about a curriculum and teaching everything properly. As long as they want to hang out together they'll start picking up pronunciation and words. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM

We are including Spanish and working with a tutor over Skype (she lives in Guatemala). I would love for my kids to learn Mandarin next but we'll have to find a tutor (over Skype or in person). I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a tutor is the only way to go (when it's feasible of course!).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Tags
Education , Learning Resources

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page