Oak Meadow Grade 1 stories - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like to put together my own Waldorf-inspired curriculum, but I'm finding this difficult because so many Waldorf curricula providers bundle everything into a full curriculum (like Christopherus).  I really cannot pay $200 for something I only need a tiny part of, ya know?  What I'm looking for are the letter stories and hidden letter drawings that are a part of the Waldorf grade 1 curriculum.  I've been looking around online and it looks like Oak Meadow offers for $30 a fairy tales book, which seems to have both stories AND illustrations (I really need both): http://www.oakmeadowbookstore.com/Curriculum/First-Grade/First-Grade-Fairy-Tales-p2748.html .  What I'm wondering, though, is what stories it uses.  Has anyone used a recent edition of OM and can let me know?  

Thanks!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#2 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM

I'm working on something similar. I don't know what Oak Meadow includes, but there is an Oak Meadow yahoo group that might be a good place to ask.

Here is a Grimm's list that might be helpful.

Molly, mom to three homebirthed girly girls: Lila 6/05, Nellie 12/07, and Lucy 1/11

#3 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM

haven't bought OM 1st yet but for kindy the hidden letter drawings are in the main curriculum and the fairy tales book is separate.  did you try earthschooling.com I'm pretty positive you can buy just that bit from them. around 10-20 bucks I think.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#4 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I have looked at Earthschooling but I don't really care for her approach to letters.  I'm sure from a logistical standpoint its easier--her approach is draw letters on a page and have your child turn them into something.  I went ahead and ordered the OM fairy tales book to see.  I'll update once I know in case anyone else is curious.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#5 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi, I have OM first grade. They do provide illustrations for each letter right inside the fairy tale book! If you'd like I can pm you the table of contents. thumb.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#6 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, wow.  Thank you!  I hate to put you to the trouble of listing all the stories--can you just list a few so I can get a feel?  Also, what have been your thoughts about the quality of the stories?

#7 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Oh, I see now that you've already ordered it. I suppose you'll see the table of contents soon enough. lol

It is mainly Grimm's and some other folktales, some well-known ones like Rumpelstiltskin. There are also a couple of "modern" stories. We had fun with the block, I think we swapped out a couple OM stories for ones we found more interesting/less weak. It was fine for us. We were able to use it as a base and then add in our own creativity to make it ours. 

Let us know what you think! I now just come up with our own lessons, but I am glad to have just picked something for 1st so I could stop obsessing over curricula and get to it without over thinking. haha orngtongue.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

OM was having a 20% sale this week so I thought I may as well go ahead ... but I'm so relieved that the pictures are included in that book because I was really starting to worry.  Dd (6) is already reading and such but I love the Waldorf hidden letter pictures with fairy tales, so I wanted to do that to "live" more deeply into the letters.  Thanks for your thoughts on the OM gr. 1 stories.  I'm ordering a Grimm's book separately so we can change up if needed, but I do like having the pictures done for me.

#9 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 AM

A friend told me about The Wise Enchanter: A Journey Through The Alphabet, and I highly recommend it. It's a lovely story, very nice illustrations, and not associated with any curriculum(that I know of)! Here's a link to it on amazon, but I have the book and would be willing to sell it if you'd like:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wise-Enchanter-Journey-Alphabet/dp/0880105623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331310163&sr=8-1

Almost forgot, LMNOP and all the letters from A - Z, is another good one too:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Letters-Howard-Schrager/dp/0964484609/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331310163&sr=8-2

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM

We used both of these books during 1st grade as well, along with the OM Fairy Tales block. My son was also reading well when we did all this. We still had a blast. We came up with Friday night poetry night each week featuring a certain letter...so much fun. I loved first grade. love.gif The Wise Enchanter didn't thrill me particularly, but my DS absolutely loved it. It's well done, I think I was just burned out on princes and princess and well, fairy tale stuff...since we did that book at the end of the year. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittsy View Post

A friend told me about The Wise Enchanter: A Journey Through The Alphabet, and I highly recommend it. It's a lovely story, very nice illustrations, and not associated with any curriculum(that I know of)! Here's a link to it on amazon, but I have the book and would be willing to sell it if you'd like:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wise-Enchanter-Journey-Alphabet/dp/0880105623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331310163&sr=8-1

Almost forgot, LMNOP and all the letters from A - Z, is another good one too:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Letters-Howard-Schrager/dp/0964484609/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331310163&sr=8-2

#11 of 13 Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I love the idea of a Friday night poetry session.  I'm filing that one away.  

We do have the Wise Enchanter.  I may do it at the end of the year because dd is really sensitive to scary stuff and there is a scary element in it.

I got the OM book yesterday and am pleased with it.  It looks like they only include capital letter drawings in their fairy tale book but both in the curriculum.  That's fine, though, but I wish they had been more clear in their description. At they are in color and the book was only $30.

#12 of 13 Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM

I too love the idea of a Friday Night Poetry Night! Lux I realize you have purchased the stories already but I am just seeing this thread and thought I would add the list of first grade stories for others who might be wondering the same thing. (I know it was something I wondered but could not  find online while I was researching)

Oak Meadow First Grade Stories A-Z

The Magic Spindle

The Bear's Child

Dick Whittington and His Cat

Jordan and Maria

The Golden Key

The Fisherman's Son

The Three Dwarves

Mother Holle

Prince Ivan

Jack and the Beanstalk

Prince Darling

Stone Soup

The Princess on the Glass Mountain

The Nail

Mr. Who

The Enchanted Pig

The Magic Locket

The Snake King

The Twelve Brothers

The Goose Girl

The Valley of the Weavers

The Wreath of Birds

The Extraordinary Crossroads

The Y in the Road

The Six Sillies

This only covers 12 weeks or so from the OM 1st grade curric.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#13 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  Great idea posting these for future reference. :)

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page