Hands-on Learner-which type of HS best? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son will be Kindergarden age next year. I would like to do something relaxed with him. He's a very hands-on and visual learner. It's hard for him to sit still for very long. (My daughter was the opposite at that age and loved to read and work on papers, craft projcts, etc.)  I was thinking Oak Meadow or something Montessori based. Does anyone have input on what would be good for a wild and crazy boy? Free resources are always appreciated too. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You may find this book very helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Learning-Homeschoolers-Self-Directed-Excellence/dp/0983151008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331326048&sr=8-1

This is probably the best parenting book I have ever read. How you can offer your kids the skills they need to follow their passions and succeed (as they define it) in the world. Although it is geared to homeschoolers, most of this can be applied to children who attend school. She discusses Montessori, Charlotte Mason, A Thomas Jefferson Education (a form of classical education,) and unschooling. She has researched how many highly successful people were educated as they grew up. Although all were homeschooled for some period of time, many also went to school for awhile as well. She discusses people like Thomas Edison, Teddy Roosevelt, Pierre Curie, Agatha Christie, Margaret Leakey, and many, many others. The bottom line is to help your child find their passions and teach them the creativity and skills to attain their goals.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 03-13-2012, 06:14 AM

I have a 4.5 year old daughter and she also learns in a different way than my older one. For now, I do not follow any specific curriculum. I got the reading list  printed from 'five in a row'  website, and try to get the books from the library. I read to her and let her read small words or sentences. I also use "Math Start" series books (again from the libraryshy.gif). They have story based math concepts and additional hands-on activities at the end of the book (more activities are also available from their website http://mathstart.net/). We also do some backyard activities like gardening and bird-watching, and visit science museums, zoo and other places to learn. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Homeschooling mom to my sweet little kids joy.gif   I blog at http://newlearningpath.wordpress.com

#4 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to both who replied. I will check into what you mentioned. Still trying to wrap my brain around what is best for my son. Thanks again!

#5 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree that Oak Meadow would be a good fit.  Being hands-on, I'd avoid any literature-heavy approaches at this age.  We have had great success in kindy by using Little Acorn Learning's monthly guides combined with our own stuff.  Our kindy is very movement, song, story, and craft-oriented--no overt academics.  And it has worked beautifully.  Dd taught herself to read, does lots of mental math, is way ahead musically and artistically, and her logic and spatial skills are awesome (one handwork we do each week is a logic game--like the ThinkFun games, Set, or origami).

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05

Tags
Homeschooling , Learning Resources

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page