Enki home schooling Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, I am a home schooling Mama of 3 one middle schooler, and two almost K age,  I purchased Oak Meadow for my Little's for this next year as I felt it would be a good start for our Waldorf inspired educational program and I am not disappointed.  I feel it will help me get things started.  My eldest was Montessori educated till 4th grade when we up and moved and I realized how the school system really was.  I have been using a plethora of educational material for her, including Montessori, Waldorf and Charlotte Mason, without the Biblical sense as we are Buddhist and I want them to not spend many hours a day reading scripture. ( Not that it is not beautiful, and has it's place and many hearts) but that we teach a different light for her.  I really wanted to have the Little's to enjoy Waldorf type education, but how do I incorporate my eldest self directed studies and my Mommy directed studies with the Little's together in one.  Should I switch my eldest to a Live Education? Or what is the right direction?  I have yet to sit and really ponder it, and I have read that I should read the Enki books to prepare myself for the transition to Enki education.  But I know Enki does not go up to that grade. 

Any suggestions to those who follow this Home Education Style.

thanks

#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM

I'm curious about this too... do you mean that you purchased Oak Meadow for this year and will be switching to Enki next year? 

#3 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM

I think she didn't get any replies because of the age of her oldest child that she is trying to switch over. I have no idea what to do in that case. There is an Enki Education yahoo group and phone calls for that kind of advice from more experienced Enki users. 

What ages are your kids treehugz?

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

http://pnwlifelearning.blogspot.com/

#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM

I love Enki. I wasn't super impressed by live Ed. I like it's just so pricey, I think for what it is. I would probably buy some of their books if I could buy them separately. That said if Enki doesn't keep up with my kids (not all the grades are out) I'll be buying live Ed

http://www.enkieducation.org/html/curric_grade_level_pkgs_1.htm

#5 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM

not sure if you've already received your answer, but I am currently homeschooling my 5th grader and have worked with Enki all along. I am part of a group that is working on developing materials that will hopefully be parts of full packages one day. I can say that first hand, it is a lot of work to find/write stories that really speak to the deep connection that Enki is trying to bring to the child. It's a huge job to create these packages.

Even if working within Enki wasn't an option for me, I think that having the Enki philosophy as a foundation for me has really helped me feel out other materials that I might bring to my older child. It encourages me to ask questions, such as does this story speak to the heart (which is the home of my son in 5th grade) or to the head. With trial and error, I have worked out ways to tailor other materials to the Enki approach, e.g., modifying some of the Waldorf math resources so that they work within the discovery approach to learning (a major distinction between Enki and Waldorf). So, reading the foundation guides have been a blessing to me that I can't imagine not having. So, if I need to in the future, I plan to work with the Live Ed materials in an Enki style.

Does that help? Enjoy your work with the little ones. My second is in first grade this year and it's been so nice to see so many sparks of delight with him around the four processes and the word families. Definitely delighted by what I'm bringing him (and he's definitely a challenging one).

Good luck

Angie in Maine

hsing Finn, 10, and Theo, almost 7 with Enki

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)

Tags
Education , Homeschooling , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page