Singapore Math or Math in Focus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all,

Just wanting to get some opinions on Singapore Math and Math in Focus. My dd is taking the Singapore 1A placement test right now and doing well with it. I'm thinking I'd like to start her with one of these programs, but am having a hard time deciding on which to choose. Anyone have experience with both or either?

Thanks so much!

Michelle

#2 of 7 Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Sorry, I can't help but I'm curious about these two as well.  Looking at the description at Rainbow Resources, the MIF seems more colorful with more hands-on activities, but also more expensive.  I'm leaning toward MIF for us, but am curious to know, too, what others think.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#3 of 7 Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM

We have singapore 1A (just the workbook).  DD likes it.  It has variety, but it is simply a workbook.  You could do more with manipulatives with it, but they have things drawn for most of the numbers (in the early lessons, anyways), and DD has been fine with that, so I haven't bothered.

We only got it a few weeks ago, and DD is up to Exercise 19 (of about 60).  The reading in it is fairly simple and has a lot of repetition (which is good for my early reader).  There is the occassional coloring project for an exercise. 

I'm not sure what else to tell you.  I haven't owned another math cirriculum or workbook.  I do have a kitchen table math book which is quite full of fun ideas and straightforward ways to help instill the fundamentals in children.  Singapore, so far, is just what I was looking for (for now).  A straightforward math workbook which DD can understand for herself once I've helped with the reading of instructions (I just had a baby... :)  ).

HTH

Tjej

#4 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If the cost difference doesn't bother you, I would go with the Math In Focus.  I don't think it makes a huge difference.  I have, however, used Singapore for a while now.  In comparing the samples of MIF with what I have at home, I think I like the colors/graphics better in MIF.  One difference (that would make a difference) is found in third grade.  In the sample, they are showing regrouping.  In the columns, they use pictures of unit cubes, rods, flats, and thous. cubes.  In Singapore, they use little circles with the appropriate number on it.  For MY dd, the pictures of manipulatives would have been MUCH nicer.  The circles just drove her nuts because they all looked the same.  

Also, recently I have gotten a bit annoyed with Singapore (6B).  In their geometry section, (text and workbook) they seem to assume that the child knows certain rules and vocabulary.  I can't find some of these taught anywhere.  I have to look through the exercises ahead of time and make note of which rules dd needs to know.  Even if they were taught in level 5 (which I haven't checked, and don't remember) I think a little "reminder box" or something would be nice.  I eventually decided to download the geometry books from Math Mammoth and have some intense geometry work instead of a couple exercises each year.  With this particular issue, I can't say for sure if MIF fixes it. 

On the down side, I do sometimes think that MIF seems a little "fluffy".  Our local elem. school is using MIF now (thank goodness--they used to use everyday math).  I have seen some stuff from friends, great program though.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM

I just ordered Singapore 1A/1B for DD and I am really impressed with it so far.  I think it will work great for us.  I ordered the text, workbook, and My Fathers World lesson book- so maybe that is why I like it so much- idk.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM

FWIW, I hope I didn't sound like I don't like Singapore.  I really do like it.  I only bought the workbook and I don't feel like we're missing anything (if the work were of a higher level/more complicated I might want the text, but for now it's fine). 

It's a workbook.  DD likes it.  It seems to do a good job of intentionally building understanding of what the math really means. 

I think life learning and game type math is slightly more fun and adequate for this level, but with our new baby and me wanting to make sure we don't totally neglect math, I am really happy to have it even at this level.

Tjej

#7 of 7 Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM

I do not have any experience with MIF, but I have been using Singapore Math solely with my girls for five years.  I use the Teacher guides that you can purchase with each level.  The teacher guide helps with teaching each topic and the rules for that topic, gives fun hands-on activities many of which use manipulatives and games, and also has an answer key if you need it.

If you choose Singapore I highly recommend purchasing the teachers guide with it!  It adds a lot more depth to each subject and my girls love the fun games/manipulative activities before hunkering down in the textbook/workbook.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page