Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've gotten recommendations for some-

Muggins Math Jelly Beans and Knock Out!

Berries, Bugs, and Bullfrogs

Sum Swamp

Any opinions and other recommendations?

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#2 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

We played gazillions of variations on Snakes & Ladders. I made a board that was more like a hundreds chart (1-10, then 11-20, etc., working from left to right in each row up the board), added snakes and ladders, and we used a huge variety of dice and rules to play. For instance, we'd use pairs of 6-sided dice with dots, or similar dice with numerals rather than dots, or we'd use a single 10-sided die, or we'd have auxiliary rules where you could either add or subtract two dice to get the most advantageous move. We usually played non-competitively, taking turns moving a single game piece, or else sharing our rolls with whomever was lagging in an effort to all finish within a couple of turns of each other.

While this wasn't a candy-coated way of drilling basic math facts, the 10x10 layout of the board and the continual creative play with numbers gave my kids very strong "number sense," including the beginning of an understanding of place value, which I think is far more important at the KG level. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

We enjoy Primo Calculino, where you need to be able to at least count to add together.  This game can be used for older children as well.

Other than that, we just use board games with dice and money.  Battleship is fun and teaches graphing and coordinates.

Pretty much anything.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

We played gazillions of variations on Snakes & Ladders. I made a board that was more like a hundreds chart (1-10, then 11-20, etc., working from left to right in each row up the board), added snakes and ladders, and we used a huge variety of dice and rules to play. For instance, we'd use pairs of 6-sided dice with dots, or similar dice with numerals rather than dots, or we'd use a single 10-sided die, or we'd have auxiliary rules where you could either add or subtract two dice to get the most advantageous move. We usually played non-competitively, taking turns moving a single game piece, or else sharing our rolls with whomever was lagging in an effort to all finish within a couple of turns of each other.

While this wasn't a candy-coated way of drilling basic math facts, the 10x10 layout of the board and the continual creative play with numbers gave my kids very strong "number sense," including the beginning of an understanding of place value, which I think is far more important at the KG level. 

Miranda

We did a lot of similar stuff.  I often filled in boards in other patterns vs. across only or up/down only.  Great book that helped me with creative ways to get math concepts across (and explain to me, also still helps me even with older kids) is How Math Works.  http://store.math.com/Books-1000-B0047TOCCW-how_math_works_byVorderman.html

#5 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 AM

There's a fantastic card game called Rat-a-Tat-Cat where the idea is to get a hand of the four LOWEST cards you can (the cards are numbered 0-9). It's fast, quick and fun, and had my kids adding four numbers together at age 5.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-204-Rat-A-Tat-Cat/dp/B00000GBQJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1332001882&sr=1-1

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My kindergartener LOVES our double sided "shut the box" game.  It works on addition, but without requiring much going in.  Though it isn't technically a board game.

We also like jr monopoly.  The money comes in 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, & 5s.  When my dd needs to pay someone $4, she likes to change it up a bit. Sometimes she will give a $4, sometimes 2 $2 bills, and sometimes a $1 and $3.  So far, she hasn't thought about paying with a $5 and getting change.  Besides the basic arithmetic, doubling is also learned.  If you own both properties of the same color, you get to charge double rent.    

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 PM

For our five year old... Monopoly and Mille Bourne. Card games are great for math ...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#8 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM

I completely forgot about Backgammon and Yahtzee too. Great for math skills!

#9 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 AM

Just wanted to second the recommendation for Shut the Box.  My youngest is fascinated by all the different combinations that can add up to the same number, which, to me, is way more important that memorizing addition "facts."

Also, some kids are ready to be introduced to chess at this age.  It is a great game for teaching higher-level mathematical reasoning skills. 

#10 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM

Not a board game but Right Start Math has a set of 300 math card games. Some are good for kindergarten but I think the full 300 are meant to go through at least 4th grade.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

Not a board game but Right Start Math has a set of 300 math card games. Some are good for kindergarten but I think the full 300 are meant to go through at least 4th grade.

Not a bad idea...we're going to start Level A this fall and these would be a good help.  I love all the ideas thrown out here as well, I will look into all of them!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

We love the Right Start Math Kit!

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page