What is your schedule like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just wondering what everyone's HS schedule is like as far as how many days a week you have "school time" and if you follow the public school schedule. I am thinking of HSing my two and b/c I have a seasonal job (I'm a gardener and work about april-Nov.) I was thinking I would do most of their indoor book schooling during that off time in the winter and then most of their outdoor learning on the weekends (I have fridays off as well as sat and sun) in the summer.

so what does everyone else follow as a schedule?

#2 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM

I'm starting this year so mine is not set in stone. I need to talk to my husband about it before I know 100 percent but what Im planning..

Im trying to make it fit our life and lifestyle.. Also, I want to do continuous, so theres no gap between the beginning on new information and the ending of the old..

Our "full days" are probably going to be maybe 1- 1 1/2 hours of "school work". I don't count projects the kids do on the side because they want to or time spent outside/at an activity.

Half days will probably be maybe 30 minutes, basically reading and math.

So the loose schedule:

start in July, most likely the second week since DH has 4th of July weekend off

Take from the last week of September to the 3rd week of October off- Im due with my 4th child October 6th.

Do 1/2 "days" from 3rd week of October to the 2nd week of November- there is a lot that goes on over here during the 1st week of November so thinking Im going to stack a full day of schooling on top of it and a new baby isn't reasonable.

We are most likely visiting family in December so we won't be doing a full schedule. Im actually planning on altering it to fit in with the fact we do a lot of Christmas activities.

"Full" school for Jan, Feb, Mar, take a week off for Easter since we do a lot of Easter activities

I haven't thought past that. Any holidays DH has off we will most likely take off as well so we can spend time with things. Its still up in the air whether he will be deploying again this coming year so if he does end up deploying we will take off some time to spend with him before he goes..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM

We've been homeschooling for 3rd grade last year, 4th this year.

Our schedule has been pretty much the same since we started.

We do -

Monday-Friday

Mornings - (about 4 hrs) :

Math, Language Arts, and Science

Afternoons - (about 2.5 hrs) :

History (3 x week) and Art/Sports/Circus/Dance with other kids (2 x week)

We have long days mostly because my son very much enjoys all the subjects and seems to be pretty academically oriented. I don't think this is the right kind of schedule for everyone. Some people who have kids with very specific interests in, say, computer programming, gymnastics, music... might decide to give only 1.5-3 hours a day to the basics (math and language arts) so that their child can have more time for their specific interest.

Try different schedules until you find one that works for you.

Last year, our first, I changed and tweaked our schedule MANY times.

Good luck! and hope you love it as much as we do.

Mama to one 9yo Dancing Boy

My Blog - http://luminousfire.blogspot.com/

#4 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a Preschooler, Kindergartener, 3rd grader and 6th grader.

We homeschool Monday-Friday year round, except for holidays and days the kids talk me into letting them be "off school."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

With the girls we did year round school with 3 months of school and one month off.  We started in Sept and did school Sept-Nov (ended with Thanksgiving), Jan-Mar, May-July.  Months off were Dec, April, and August.  We did school Mon-Fri, 8 am to noon.  3 Rs separately and ending with history and science on alternate days all together just before lunch.  They were home schooled until 8th, 6th, and 2nd grade.  I did my own curriculum and found that I did better only scheduling 3 months of school at a time.  As it was, because of child-led side tracks, we always were off schedule by then anyway.  And with all the things we did between Thanksgiving and New Year's, it made sense for us to have those weeks without adding in school work as well.

With our son, we follow the school year as he is home schooled through a charter school.  We do PE, math and language arts together before lunch; he does history and science (we do experiments together) on his own after lunch.  He does language arts in the summer to keep up his skills which takes about an hour a day.  He didn't start home schooling until 6th grade and is now in 8th grade.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 AM

Ww did K this year and are probably starting first grade this week.  For K we really had no schedule.  This week I am going to play with having school right after lunch when my littlest takes a nap- well that and mornings are so busy with chores and whatnot that school just doesn't happen then.  Except for tuesdays- DS1 has speech in the actual school right after lunch- so we will try for the morning.  But Tuesday mornings we are also going to try to do science experiments/ farm chores together since it will be just DD, DS1, and me.  I am planning on DD taking about 2-2.5 hours/day and DS1 taking less than that.  Wow- 6-7 hours a day rebel education!  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 AM

I started off following the traditional school year, just because I felt it would be easiest for my son to handle.  But as the years go by (we're almost ending our second year), I'm able to know more and more what I as mom/teacher need.  This next year we will be doing a month of science-oriented "fun" in July, then starting back in late August or September.  I plan to take the entire month of December off, then probably a week off at the end of February and a week off in April.  I need those breaks to get me through the last half of the school year and stay sane.  I still like to have summer mostly off because it just seems a natural time to slow down, be outdoors, etc.  Plus, I think there would be mutiny from my kids if they were "doing school" while all their friends were off.

As far as our daily and weekly schedule...  we school Monday through Thursday and then Friday is for field trips, make up work, or heavier chores.  We start around 10:00 am and are usually done by 1:00 pm.  Afternoons are for things like scouts, piano lessons, etc.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page