Oak Meadow 1st Grade or Kindy for 5.5 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS will be 5.5 yrs  old this fall, we will be starting OM. He already knows his alphabet and number; not that a review would hurt. but I just don't want him to get bored with it. But I'm not sure if 1st grade would be too far ahead? Thoughts anyone?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Hi,

I know it can be hard to decide!  

I'll just share what I chose and my thought process with my choice, and maybe it will give you some food for thought?  I have a daughter that will be about 5.5 in the fall as well.  I ultimately decided to get OM K because I really did not want my daughter and myself to miss out on it!  My little gal is already reading and is doing well with math concepts---definitely beyond what OM K presents.  However, I still felt that all of the other areas that OM K included, were much too valuable to pass up.  

Although we are just getting started with OM K (didn't want to wait till fall to start!), my daughter is joyfully engaged with it.  In fact, just tonight out of the blue, she said to me, "mommy, I really like Oak Meadow, I like the crafts and the circle time."  And I have to agree with her.  I love having the time to slow down with her and enjoy the crafts, the creative play, the science, art, and story time.  The pace and focus of OM K is how I want to spend time with her, creating together, singing, dancing, moving, and playing.  I definitely see that my kids (I also have an 8 year old) are growing up way too fast and I don't want to rush any of the sweet childhood moments with them.  I chose OM K because it lines up so well with my desire to enjoy all the sweet childhood moments.

As far as the syllabus goes, the only portion that I skip is the math portion.  I have a full-fledged program already that we are getting going with so I do not feel that we need the additional math instruction from OM K.  We do all else, including practicing the alphabet through drawing in the main lesson book even though my daughter is already beyond it academically.  I can see, that even though she is well beyond learning the alphabet, she is truly engaged because of the way OM has the child interact with the material.

I know for me, when choosing which level to go with, I definitely leaned more toward going with the OM philosophy of "educating the whole child" so, the math and language arts was just a small consideration when choosing which program was best for us.

I know every family and every child is different so, my experience may not reflect your desires for your family.  I just wanted to share in hopes that you will find something helpful!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 PM

For me, the disparity between my daughter's reading and math levels and those of OM are probably the main reason we decided not to use it this year.  She turned 5 in December and is doing mostly grade 1 level academics...

OM K would have been too easy for her.  Like you said, "a little review doesn't hurt" and what we as adults consider 'easy' can actually be very enriching to the youngsters.  But she would have been bored.

However, the stuff outside of math and reading in gr 1 would have been too complex for her, even 'smart' as she is.  

So we're doing other stuff this year, but I will re-evaluate OM year to year to see if it's become a better fit for us.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM

i'm in the same place. We've done OM kindy for two years now and even though ds1 will only be 5.5 we are going to go ahead and do OM 1st grade. I think that as most of it will work go right ahead. you can always modify or skip over areas that just are too advanced if the problem comes up and you can re-do those sections next year. :)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM

DD1 will be 6 in the fall. We're going with OM 1st, but I'm in a bit of a different spot, DD2 is going to be 5 in december, so I'm planning on getting OM K as well. What I did with DD1 worked, but having to teach multiple kids at the same time I am going to need more help with structure. So if DD1 doesn't seem to be advancing we can back track and go with the same stuff DD2 is doing. So anyway, FWIW, if you have a younger one might be worth considering.

Also I wanted to bring up the resale value of this curriculum. If you buy the K and end up ordering the 1st instead you can probably get most of your money back out of the K

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM

My son is 5 1/2, and we will be using Oak Meadow grade 1 (probably beginning in the summer, as we have a baby arriving in the fall...and would like to get into a groove before baby arrives)....I had a hard time deciding, mainly because of the $ invested, I really didn't want to invest that much into their K curriculum because I felt he might be 'bored' reviewing concepts he knows  (can already read somewhat, and writes well)....and, well...i looked into the K curriculum...and felt i had enough at home already with books like 'LMNOP'  and oodles of fairy tales and crafts, to really make a nice 'kindergarten'.  We will also be using  "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons", he likes it!  'Handbook of Nature Study', lots of Aesops fables and fairy tales (I do love Andrew Langs fairy books, blue and red), "Math Lessons for a Living Education" which is a Charlotte Mason style math curriculum, 'Drawing with Children', and 'Keepers of the Earth:  Native American Stories and Environmental Activities for children'  for some wonderful Native American tales and activities.  

I love love love the Waldorf approach, but I think you also can jump in where you think your child will be comfortable!  I think many 5 ish year olds would really be ready for the 1st grade, its very gentle...introducing letters and math concepts. -lisa

Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

If you have other children Id get the kindergarten one. Then even if you have to get the 1st grade one earlier than expected you can still use the Kindergarten one for your younger child.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Homeschooling
User Tag List