Home schooling temporarily/short-term? Is it worth it??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am about 90% sure I want to homeschool dd, but for about a year or two. After that I'd have to re-evaluate where I am school/job wise to see if we could continue, but likely dd would end up back in the school system eventually... it's just a matter of "when".

Has anyone hs'd short term like this? On purpose? lol.gif  Am I totally bananas for even considering this?! I do know though that it would be good for dd. (Ds will probably stay in his preschool part time.) What concerns me is the fact that it takes some time to adjust to the hs "mentality" after being in the public school system, and I don't want to spend our entire year (if it ends up only being 1 year) in a transitional phase just to transition back into public school. 

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#2 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM

I have not BTDT, but am reading Love in a Time of Homeschooling by Laura Brodie. The family pulled their oldest daughter out of public school in 5th grade and homeschooled for a year, the author likens it to her daughter taking a sabbatical. HTH

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#3 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We did this, not on purpose really, just life circumstances.  

My dd was simply not ready for kindergarten -- she had a lot social anxiety and was far behind the other kids in terms of maturity.   She stayed home for K, 1st and 2nd.  We then travelled internationally and she went to a lovely, little school in Sweden.  

We are now back in the states and she is attending our local public school for 4th grade.  She has acclimated surprisingly well.  I kind of thought we might pull her mid way through the year, but she has really shown herself to be remarkably mature and is handling the school environment well.  And this is a tough school for her - -Title I, lots of poverty driven social issues and a deep racial divide.  

I think the extra time to grow and mature was very, very good for her.  She has handled herself well during some classroom drama that would have sent her into a panic attack a couple of years ago.

Personally, I think any time at home can be very positive for a child.  My son has asked to spend next year at home and I think we will probably accommodate his request.  It is a luxury that we can afford and I am happy to set aside the year for his mental and spiritual well being.  

And I love the idea of taking a sabbatical.  If I could, I would plan year long sabbaticals for all my children.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM

I think it can be. I started homeschooling both kids in the fall.  I know that dd will probably go back in the coming fall to her previous school.  The hardest part is watching her attitude since she knows there will be a change. I will still homeschool my younger one for at least another year.  For us we chose curriculum that would provide continuity if/when they return to school (I looked at what the school would be using and was okay with it).   I will say it is the hardest thing I have ever done, even though I am glad we chose this path.

#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!  I think we are going to try and make it work. I'm nervous and excited!

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page