Singapore Math - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a couple of questions about Singapore math for Kindergarten for mamas who have BTDT.

1) First, did you use all of the materials (Textbooks, workbooks, and Teacher's Guides) or did you just use the workbooks?

2) Where did you start with your kindergartner? Were the Earlybird books worth it (they seem so much more expensive then the rest of the series), or did you go straight to 1A?

3) Did you feel that Singapore math was a good fit for your kid? Why or why not? And, if you decided against it, then what did you like better?

4) Did you supplement Singapore with anything else?

Thank you guys so much!

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#2 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM

I will answer part of your questions- but we are in first grade.  We are in 1A right now.  We are using the workbook, textbook, and teachers guide- just because it gives us an idea of how much we should do a day.  I have been considering ordering the kindergarten book for DS1- but haven't yet.  I am not supplementing with anything other than our normal learning/living.  DD loves it- it isn't overwhelming- colorful and funny for a first grader.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM

I started my Kindergartener in 1A based on the placement test on their website.  My ds was 5 1/2 when we started and he took to it really well.  I did not buy the teacher's guide.  We just use the workbook and textbook.  I would read through the textbook with ds and explain the math, which also includes some practice problems that we would do together as an example.  Then when you reach a certain point in the text it will tell you to go complete exercise 1 in the workbook, so we would do that.  We spend roughly 20 minutes per day on math 4-5 days per week and finished 1 A and B in a year.

I think it has been a good fit for my ds.  That said, I don't know if it will be a good fit for my second ds.  We'll see!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#4 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 PM

I got Singapore 1A about when my Ker turned 6.  The placement tests on the website really give you an idea of what is a good fit.

We only got the workbook.  It has been fine for the couple of months we've had it.  DD likes it.  We have pulled out some things to use as manipulatives sometimes to understand the math.

Tjej

#5 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Never used the KG or 1st grade materials here as my kids were all more than ready for 2A or 2B by the time we started formal math (age 5-6). But we pretty much only used the workbooks. No teachers manuals. We did have the textbooks on hand, but rarely used them, maybe a handful of times over the years.

Miranda

mom to four Singapore Primary "Grads"

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheDesert View Post

I had a couple of questions about Singapore math for Kindergarten for mamas who have BTDT.   1) First, did you use all of the materials (Textbooks, workbooks, and Teacher's Guides) or did you just use the workbooks?   2) Where did you start with your kindergartner? Were the Earlybird books worth it (they seem so much more expensive then the rest of the series), or did you go straight to 1A?   3) Did you feel that Singapore math was a good fit for your kid? Why or why not? And, if you decided against it, then what did you like better?   4) Did you supplement Singapore with anything else?   Thank you guys so much!

1. Just the activity book and work text plus all the recommended manipulatives
2. Earlybird
3. Nooooooo. Too fast for one and Ds needs a mastery program for sure. My son hated it. Also it was frustrating to have a lot of the activities geared towards a classroom setting.
4. Dreambox.com.....greatest thing since sliced bread for us. This helped my son see and understand things in a way that Singapore was not. We finally stopped Singapore and use Dreambox with Math Lessons for a Living Education Vol.1...starting RightStart Level A in the fall. We also do a lot of math readers and games.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#7 of 8 Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheDesert View Post

I had a couple of questions about Singapore math for Kindergarten for mamas who have BTDT.

1) First, did you use all of the materials (Textbooks, workbooks, and Teacher's Guides) or did you just use the workbooks?

2) Where did you start with your kindergartner? Were the Earlybird books worth it (they seem so much more expensive then the rest of the series), or did you go straight to 1A?

3) Did you feel that Singapore math was a good fit for your kid? Why or why not? And, if you decided against it, then what did you like better?

4) Did you supplement Singapore with anything else?

Thank you guys so much!

1.  For the EarlyBird Books, I only got the workbook.  There are a few things that probably needed the text (or teacher's guide) but we were fine without it.  For the 1A and up, I have both the wrkbok and text.  I don't think the text is needed at all, esp. in the earlier grades.  

2.  My current kindergartener did the EarlyBird books for preschool and started 1A in Kinder.  She actually goes to ps though (for this year only).  She wanted the workbooks, I didn't push them on her.

3.  Singapore is a good fit for us because I like the approach.  I also like that the page isn't just filled with tons of problems.

4.  I supplement Singapore with lots of hands on learning.  Singapore has been our spine and guide, but it isn't close to being the only math in the house.  Not that it couldn't, but my kids learn better hands on.  Also, I generally skip the money/time sections of the book and use real coins, and an educational clock. . . at least until the kids are doing "math" with the money/time (around 3a/b).

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#8 of 8 Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Right on guys. Thanks so much. When I was looking up Singapore, I had found it through several other websites. The placement test on their own site sounds wonderful. I'll definitely be doing that to see where my daughter would best start with their system. Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page