Essentials for kindergarten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am about to get to do kindergarten for the second time joy.gif and I started to make a list of what I needed, and I came up blank. I believe in a more or less unschooled approach in K, with a focus on being developmentally appropriate and introducing things at the child's pace. So here is my list of K "equipment", if you see something missing that makes your list, please share!

Home library of lots of children's books- fiction and nonfiction
Wooden unit blocks
Puzzles
Legos, duplos, lincon logs, wedgits, and other blocks
Dress up clothes
Dolls and play kitchen
Small table and chairs
HWT K workbook to learn writing
Leapster
Paper and crayons
Finger paint
Home computer
Various other toys for imaginative play
Balls and bean bags

Any suggestions? It has been 5 years since my dd did K. We have used most of this as part of our day this year with my preschoolers, so I am trying to figure out what to add for the fall.

TIA,

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#2 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Essentials for us include nets to catch things like frogs and newts and an assortment of containers (like this, for instance) to keep bugs and other critters in.  And how about some seeds, to be planted in pots or in a garden patch?

#3 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

Essentials for us include nets to catch things like frogs and newts and an assortment of containers (like this
, for instance) to keep bugs and other critters in.  And how about some seeds, to be planted in pots or in a garden patch?

I second the bugs stuff. We have so much fun with nets and critter keepers. Magnifying glasses are great, too.

Another thing we cannot do with out is a good bird book. We can spend hours bird watching and finding the birds inbthe book. We have nature journals and the kids draw the birds they see...we do all sorts of things with the nature journals from leaf rubbings to weather observations through art. Lastly, our must have is telescope my little ones are learning so much with it...and again, documenting what they see in the nature journal.
#4 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM

good books around? Sonlight has a wonderful reading list of fantastic books for kindy. (Just minus the religious ones if you want it secular) 

what about some fun science materials to have a round for use? timberdoodle stuff maybe?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM

Mine love having playdoh and playdoh toys around to play with. My oldest will play with hours "writing" words with her playdoh.

A good experiment book and things to do science experiments with.. Great for rainy days or days when its just to darn blasted HOT to leave the house (can you tell I don't like the heat??)

I second the bird book! I have to pick up a new one since we just moved. The kids love, love, love bird watching. Also, a bird feeder to attract them to your house

I like having a lot of different art supplies on hands.. We have spray bottles with diluted  paint spray (note: If you use a hair detangler bottle to put the spray in make sure to tell your husband BEFORE you ask him to brush out the kids hair hide.gif).. The dot markers like they use for bingo are very popular. Modeling clay is just now becoming something my oldest will play with. A salad spinner, not for salad though.. they love to "paint" using it to spin and coat the paper.. An easel. Mine also love chalkboards and whiteboards to draw on. We spent a LOT of time on drawing.. My oldest also enjoys the Learn To Draw books. She likes to see how to draw things then adapt them to what she wants them to be.

Musical instruments if you don't have any.. Mine have a toddler band set.. I only bring it down when I won't mind them pounding on it (I'm mean I know but I'm prone to migraines and excess noise when I have one isn't a good thing!)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#6 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Little binoculars, magnifying glass, a little tape measure (for measuring *everything* everywhere!)

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I do actually have a lot of musical instruments, and some do a dot markers and play dough.... And just ordered a bird identification book for our new home. I need to get some stuff to catch bugs, I guess. smile.gif. We are planting a family garden, and I have a lot of good science experiment books from dd, but I need to remember to get them out.
I might decide on an art easle for this year, but I am an art wimp because it always turns into such a mess.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

Tags
Education , Homeschooling , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page