What are some good nature field guides for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 yr old ds is totally into nature :)  I want to purchase some field guides to use when we are out exploring. I'm looking for something about frogs/toads/turtles; butterfiels/insects, Wildflowers etc. What field guides would you all recommend?  

#2 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM

For flowers and birds, I use books specific to our State. I got the books, along with several guides for trees, animal tracking, and fish at the local National Forest Headquarters. They also had many great videos and documentaries.
#3 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

take along guides

one small square

jim arnosky, particularly crinkleroot

lone pine publishing

peterson

smithsonian

#4 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

We like Peterson and Lone Pine here.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 AM

We like the Peterson ones too.  For really younger children my dd has liked the Dover coloring book ones and The Big Golden Book of Backyard Birds.  (its an old one, we got it at the thrift store but you can get it used on amazon or ebay). 

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#6 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Like the others, we use the adult field guides: Peterson, Lone Pine, Audubon (not my favorite, but my daughter loves them).  I brought back a kid's book on rocks and minerals and my 5yo said to take it back, "It's not science-y enough."  

We have several by Timber Press and a particularly excellent one called "Bird Feathers" by David Scott and Casey McFarland.  For mushrooms "All That the Rain Brings and More" but I forget if that is regional.  

What area do you live in?  Sometimes the best guides are local.  My favorite wildflower guide for the PNW is by Timber Press.  "Weeds of the West" is fun and extensive, but some other more local ones are better still.  The fold-out, laminated ones have fewer plants and less information, but are more targeted to what you might actually run across, and are a lot lighter to carry.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#7 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I also like Peterson.  In general, I prefer guides with drawings to guides with photos.  Drawings seem to do a better job of showing you all the important features and letting you compare similar species.  (But we have a really good caterpillar guide with photos.)  If you just want to introduce your kid to the idea of identifying birds or flowers, but you don't think it's likely to become a big interest, there are some guides intended for kids that are simpler and show a smaller number of species, and those might be a good choice.  I personally would lean towards getting more comprehensive guides intended for adults, since otherwise you might end up being frustrated by finding things that aren't in your guides, or finding pictures in your guides that sort of match what you see, but wondering if there's some species not shown in your guide that might be a better match. 

#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM

We like the National Audobon Society's Regional Guides.  They seem to cover the most different categories and my kids prefer photos to the drawings that the Peterson guides have.  I have found frustration with all of them since inevitably there are only a limited number of amphibians/reptiles/birds/trees/etc. in the field guides and there are occasions we could not find what we were looking for however this one has covered the most for us...

http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-Regional-Mid-Atlantic/dp/0679446826/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333386868&sr=1-1

#9 of 10 Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM

The Peterson guides get looked thru often here.

Also this bird book is lovely:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Backyard-Birdsong-Guide-Eastern/dp/B003B3NVX6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333489680&sr=1-1

#10 of 10 Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My kids have the north american birds one and they love it!

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page