How do you stay on track even when life serves up distractions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've had a major distraction in the last 6+ weeks:  both our daughters have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  (Note:  we are actually upbeat and feeling generally good emotionally, despite a now more complicated gluten free diet).  Between researching Celiac, cleaning out the kitchen, trying to find a new white toaster  (white seems to be an outdated color???!!!), and managing doctors appointments and reading every label, I've barely had time to focus on homeschooling...the girls are 5, so I'm feeling great that they've gotten lots of unstructured time ;) but certainly in the upcoming years I'll need to be more committed!?!

How do you stay disciplined when big things arise in life?

#2 of 3 Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Embrace the learning that's part of the "distractions" and don't worry about it! As your kids get older they'll be more independent, and more of their learning will be self-directed, and bumps in family life won't interfere quite so much. But still, there's so much learning that comes out of these distractions and at this age, it really matters not one bit that they've been learning about wheat and inflammation and blood tests rather than phonics and place-value.

Just tell yourself that you've been completing a 6-week intensive unit study in human physiology, nutrition and wellness with a minor in unstructured imaginary play. 

Miranda

Grace and Granola likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 3 Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:) thanks Miranda!  Yes, we've talked lots about endoscopies and tiny little cameras...not many five year olds have pics of their digestive tracts! 

We've also had a lot of exposure to kids with a whole host of other maladies--I think they've learned a lot about compassion--or at a minimum, it's been imprinted.  We've spent three days at Children's Hospital in LA in the past few weeks...I constantly look at my kiddos an think how healthy they are and I've witnessed so much love and care for every child there, no matter how big or small the ouchy...we haven't rushed the girls to and from appointments so that they feel some sense of belonging and community with the hospital and the other kids. 

The biggest, most important lessons are about values after all, right?

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page