Talk to me all about consumable workbooks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

To my surprise my dd is really enjoying using worksheets and workbooks. She pulls them off the shelf and does them herself sometimes but I just have a random selection of some that I picked up at a garage sale once. 

Do you have any favorites? If you use workbooks that are not part of a specific curriculum what do you do with them when your child has finished them? I feel bad to throw them away but that's a lot to just store somewhere too. Is there some kind of dry erase paper or cover or something so that you can reuse it and pass it down to someone?

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas tiphat.gif

mama to three little ladies
#2 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

What age and stage are you talking about? What subject areas is she interested in? My recommendations for a 9-year-old working at a 7th grade level and interested in advanced math would differ a lot from those for a 6-year-old who is not yet reading fluently and is interested in Spanish, or in practicing handwriting.

As for not consuming consumable workbooks, there are certainly ways to do that. You can use plastic page protectors and have your child work using wet-erase markers. Or you can photocopy the pages and have her work on those. But generally the costs (financial, time and environmental) of doing that make it not worth it for me unless the consumable book contains a lot of information/teaching and just a small portion that's write-in, or unless the workbook is part of a package of other materials that I plan to reuse for a subsequent child and can't cheaply and easily replace just the workbook.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oddly my son loves them too. Spectrum seems to be a favorite...I can't figure that one out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks ladies. I forgot to say she is five. She's reading quite a bit though so she can follow the simple instructions in the books to color or write or trace, etc. 

It's not part of any curriculum. We aren't unschooling but are all over the place for now as far as academics go. 

I will go looking for those page protectors. I agree that it's not worth the time and effort to photocopy. As it is the workbooks are cheaper than using up my printer ink to print worksheets from the internet. 

mama to three little ladies
#5 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM
AAK

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

FWIW my children did not want to use the plastic sheets.  Part of the joy of a workbook was seeing it become completed!  My kids loved dot to dot books, mazes (esp. the KUMON maze books), and explode the code (and their earlier books).

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Part of the joy of a workbook was seeing it become completed!  

Agree! Without grades to achieve, tests to write, or a sense of transit through levelled school years, the completion of a workbook was one of the few objective milestones my kids could enjoy. They weren't particularly sentimental about the completed books. I usually held onto them until they were well into another one -- maybe three or four months -- and then I'd ask if it was time to pitch it in the recycling bin, and they always said yes. But they did like to feel like they were moving through to the completion of something while they were working in it. Filling the pages up with penciled responses gave them that feeling.

Maybe if we'd used page protectors they would have been happy with a chart that we filled in to show their progress through the book in a permanent tangible way.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM

i generally just pick 'em up as i find them. targets dollar sections, garage sales, the dump, used book stores... etc. I don't worry about coping pages unless it was REALLY expensive. but generally i like themed ones. (dinosaur, space.. etc)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

My daughter will be 3 in July and already LOVES the Kumon books. I highly recommend them for all age ranges.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

Tags
Learning Resources , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page