7-8 year old reading curriculum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am hoping to boost my son's reading ability this summer. He does go to school, but it is a very unconventional school with no homework and little direct reading instruction. He is 7 (going on 8 in the fall) and barely reading. We have done some Explode the Code books, but he does not really enjoy the activities. Does anyone have a suggestion for a curriculum? He can read short words and sentences. He's quite the beginner reader. I am looking for something that might grab his attention, but is also aimed at beginner readers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What about some Dr. Suess books?   They have lots of smaller words and made up words good for sounding out (IMO).  And I love the way they flow!

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

So, where is he in his reading? Knows short vowels, identify and read long vowels, consonant blends like "fl", "dr", "nt", etc, more special sounds like "ay" and things like "go, be, my" etc? 2 syllable words? Compound words? Suffixes? Has he been introduced to all of it and just needs practice or is it new? You can explain things as you come to them together, or practice new things as you teach them with a curriculum.

Here are some good easy reader classics you can borrow from the library or buy http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/StoryTimeTreasures.html

Tags
Learning Resources , Homeschooling
User Tag List