I'm homeschooling for now (sort of) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So my dd is 4.5 and went to preschool in another state before we moved. Now we are on our own in a state where she is 'too young for preschool' and have no daycare assistance because the state here is pretty messed up (they expect you to have someone else watch your kid for a month before paying for daycare). Needless to say I have found a way to make a living with my kids with me and it rocks! I'm not really a WAHM because most of our work is done outside in parks or universities or other public areas. However I am with my kids all day and try to make it an interesting (and educational) experience for them.

I'm not really sure how to go about 'homeschooling' my dd but I have some pre-K workbooks and flash cards for her to play with while I am working. She spends about half her time tracing the letters and numbers in the work books and she copies what she sees on the cards with sidewalk chalk. I really like the idea of keeping her with me as much as I can and as long as I can but doubt I will be homeschooling full time since I plan on returning to school full time soon.

If you are a single mom and homeschool how do you manage it? Do any of you work at home (or work with your kids)? Is it possible to homeschool and work a regular job as a single mom?

be good family...

#2 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a single mom and will be homeschooling starting in the fall (ish). My son isn't old enough for kindy but he is definitely beyond the kindy level so I am not going to hold him back. So, I don't really have any clue either. I would like info on what you do in the park..... Sounds interesting lol

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#3 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM

I wanted to add that I was planning to unschool until I met my little genius (um, I know he is gifted so....) Anyways, i think that a semi-Classical approach will fit him better. I also think his little sister will benefit from something like FIAR.

For my son, we will use the following:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey: Earth and Space Level 1

Life of Fred, starting with Apples and progressing at his pace (Math)

History Odyssey, again at his pace

The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading

I want to use D'Nealian writing BUT I can't find any good resources (read affordable)

I haven't broken it down to cost, but I plan to use RSO and History Odyssey's "Before you buy" option. We'll see how it all works out. On the unschool front, I plan to let him have as much free time as possible.

My bitty will use http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php  maybe without too much lapbooking, idk yet, again i will follow her lead. I think that's everything lol. I'm not sure how to afford his curricula, but I may buy one thing once a month or so.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

#4 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM

FWIW, we bought this book

http://www.amazon.com/DNEALIAN-HANDWRITING-ACTIVITIES-MANUSCRIPT-GOODYEAR/dp/0673185354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335386129&sr=8-1

And it is simple and cheap and seems to be working well for d'nealian.

#5 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post

I'm a single mom and will be homeschooling starting in the fall (ish). My son isn't old enough for kindy but he is definitely beyond the kindy level so I am not going to hold him back. So, I don't really have any clue either. I would like info on what you do in the park..... Sounds interesting lol

Oh I gather signatures on petitions. Most people who do this work just stand infront of stores or librarys but it would not be safe to just loiter in front of a building with a big parking lot with my dd running around. I wear my ds most of the time I'm working and my dd either plays in the park, writes on the sidewalk or sits on a bench 'working' on her books. So yeah, next time you see someone gathering signatures think if you want to be making money for that person not just if you want to see the issue on the ballot.

be good family...

#6 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Good idea :) and as far as income, right now we only get gov assistance. I really don't want to go into detail, but I have a special needs child and that requires A LOT of my time. So, that type of thing sounds really good for us. :)

#7 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post

Good idea :) and as far as income, right now we only get gov assistance. I really don't want to go into detail, but I have a special needs child and that requires A LOT of my time. So, that type of thing sounds really good for us. :)

Don't get me wrong it is still very HARD work especially with kids in tow! But aside from LeapForce work at home I have not come across another reliable income I can get with my kids. And due to how messed up this state I stupidly chose to move to is I can't get any gov assistance...

But anyways, I think my dd is learning a lot through her interactions with other kids and nature while were out and learning a little from the books and flashcards I found for her. I don't know if I should invest in some 'real' homeschool material before fall or if I should just go with the flow and try to scavange/find inexpensive workbooks and printouts from the internet for her to 'work' on. I've started reading the unschooling forum and think I'm into some of the philosophies behind it. However I am a bit hesitant since I think at some point I will have to put her into public school, like when I go back to college to finish my degree...

be good family...

#8 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I would "go with the flow".  At her age, materials aren't a requirement.  I had a couple workbooks for my youngers when they were that age (because they wanted a book too!) not because I thought they "needed" one.  When you are at home, read a bunch of stories from the library, but while in the park let her lead.    

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

FWIW, we bought this book

http://www.amazon.com/DNEALIAN-HANDWRITING-ACTIVITIES-MANUSCRIPT-GOODYEAR/dp/0673185354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335386129&sr=8-1

And it is simple and cheap and seems to be working well for d'nealian.

I don't know how I missed this. Thanks for the resource smile.gif
Tjej likes this.

#10 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yeah at 4 1/2 I'd go with the flow. Unless she is really, really wanting to read AND starting to sound out words and so on, personally I'd just wait a bit more. She's very young, and personally I think anything they do at this age they will be able to pick up ten times faster in a few years. I'd just have her playing, drawing, etc, unless, like I say, SHE is really keen to learn. Just my 2c.

Oh eta and in the park another option might be story cds. My older kids both have ipod shuffles, around $15 each I think on ebay? (£10 uk money but I bet they're cheaper over in the states anyway). Great investment.  

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page