Anyone have (or know of) a homebased co-op preschool? I have ? about Liability insurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

I am starting (with a few other moms) a co-op preschool. We are planning to be homebased (on a rotation) and for us to teach (rather than hire anyone). We are trying to figure out what other groups do about insurance. We called one place and they said only a business can apply. We are trying to be safe about anyone getting sued if something happened in their home.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas of where to get this info?

Thanks

#2 of 3 Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

*Disclaimer* I don't run a co-op although I do have liability insurance for my company.

You might be able to get a rider to your home owners policy that basically gives you a larger amount of coverage. My late grandfather was a State Farm agent and a few years ago my grandmother mentioned that if we had a lot of kids playing at our house with our kids it would be wise to get a million dollar rider to our home owners or renter's policy in case someone got really hurt. Granted we're not personally there yet since our kids are young and don't really do play dates but it's something we are keeping in mind. The thing is though that I'm pretty sure each family in the co-op would need one. Supposedly they aren't all that expensive but I don't know that for sure.

Alternatively, you might want to look at setting up an official business to keep track of money, etc. anyway (also possibly better for tax purposes). It might be worth asking your insurance agent if you have a business with a rotating location how that affects your potential coverage.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It sounds like this isn't for profit and you have no interest in declaring this a business. Is that right? Are you going to be charging tuition and such? 

If not, I don't see why you would need special insurance. Moms babysit each others kids all the time. I don't see why adding some educational activities to it would change anything. It's still just having friends over or having your child go play in a friends home when other friends are over also. I know several moms who swap babysitting all the time to get some free time. They don't sign waivers or anything. 

mama to three little ladies

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page