Spanish --- instead of Rosetta Stone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My dd (grade 6) has been using Rosetta Stone for Spanish this year.  At first, this method seemed great.  She was picking it up easily.  However, once we got to January, her progress slowed significantly and her frustration level grew.  I don't speak Spanish, but could help her a little.  Mostly she gets really confused with the different conjugations of verbs.  I showed her a typical conjugation chart (from my French learning days) and she said, "why can't they just show me that!"  Since then, she has been requesting a more "traditional" approach.  I still want her to be able to hear the language a lot too.  Is there a program that blends the traditional and immersion methods?  She has always been interested in Spanish and has been listening to it since preschool through cds of songs, muzzy, etc. She took an immersion based camp which she loved (I thought immersion would be great for her).  But, she is more of a sequential learner.  She doesn't want to give up Spanish, but she needs either a class (where a teacher can answer questions) or a different program to use at home.  She is all but refusing to use Rosetta stone.  We have also used BBC in the past.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Look and see if your library subscribes to Mango Language Learning.  It is all on-line and free.  Our ds likes it much better than Rosetta Stone (which is bummer since we own it)..

#3 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Thanks!  2mama, how does Mango Language differ from Rosetta Stone.  Our library doesn't subscribe to it, but the Mango website does have personal subscriptions too.   Are there some key differences to why your ds likes it better than Rosetta Stone?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Tagging a question on to this thread: I've been looking at Spanish for Children by Classical Academic Press.  It has a dvd portion, but it's highly structured and does a lot with grammar.  I'm looking at it because I don't want a curriculum that only teaches a handful of vocabulary the way so many elementary Spanish programs do, but my child who is asking for Spanish isn't ready for high school level work.  

Has anyone used this?  It gets mixed reviews over on the Well Trained Mind forums.  

#5 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 12:56 PM

I like Spanish for Kids, it's a full Spanish curriculum created by a Spanish teacher for young children! 

http://www.spanishforkids.com/index.php?aff_id=3

#6 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM

We like the DVDs and workbooks from Northern Arizona University.  But we're only in the middle of the Grades 3-4 of Elementary Spanish at Home so far.  They have a program for middle school too (Educacion Espanola) but since we haven't reached that level yet I can't say how good it is.  I like that my DD can watch the DVD and then do the workbook on her own.  They also have it on Dish Network but I like having the actual DVDs so she can watch them again when she wants.  The Elementary Spanish program is about $120 for 50 lessons, so I think it's very reasonable.  The website is http://esp.extended.nau.edu/

Hope that helps someone.

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page