Mothering Forum banner

Xposted: Need to make a decision for my 4YO fast

491 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tjej 
#1 ·
DS is four and I've found myself at a crossroads regarding his education. I suddenly have to make some big decisions and I could use support to figure this out.

I've struggled with which educational track I think is best for DS - an awsome public Montessori school, homeschool, dual enrollment or traditional public school. I thought the Montessori school was off the table because of their long, LONG waiting list so I've fully researched HS, have a lose curriculim coupled with tons of hands on leaning, and have even connected with HS programs and families in the community. I'm mentally prepared to HS and am a big advocate for it, especially during those early formative years. I never even thought about sending him to preschool. He gets preschool X 10 from all the things he experiences, learns, socializes, etc.

Well...I got the call! There is room for DS at the awsome public Montessori school next year. But here's the catch - if he doesn't start in preschool he loses his chance. Meaning they do not accept children to start in, say, 3rd grade or 5th grade. (The reason being they're working on shrinking the student to teacher ratio to allow for more one-on-one.)And uts FIVE days a week! That is way too big of a jump for me - and him.

Now I'm torn...I never wanted to send him to school before mabe 2nd grade and definately not preschool. But I will regret declining a spot at this.school later. So what do I do? A twist on this is that our traditional public school, which is great - just a different learning style from Montessori, offers half-day kindergarten. So if I decline a spot in the Montessori school I could decide to do half -day kindy at the neighborhood school. And I think they'd be more open to dual enrollment.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think as parents all we can do is make the best decisions for where our kids are now. If you think five days is too much for him, I can't see doing it just so he'll have a spot in a couple of years, you know? Only you can determine your child's needs, but they probably are what they are.

#3 ·
FWIW you can say yes to the school to hold your spot and then make your real decision after that.

Pro/Con lists help. The best thing (so far) about homeschooling in our family has been the flexibility/schedule.

Good luck, it is a hard choice. BUT, really, you are deciding between many good options, not bad options. So you win however you choose.

Tjej

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.