Bedtime books for three year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When visiting with my sister's family recently (she has older kids 5 and 7) my daughter noted that she would like to start doing books in bed in the dark like her cousins do.  My sister reads with a little light and they relax and usually fall asleep while she is still reading.  I am wondering if anyone knows of early chapter books that would be appropriate to her age in terms of not being scary, etc.  I am having trouble finding stories that aren't scary and don't focus on the school dynamic or other things that she does not understand yet.  I was thinking The Mouse and the motorcycle?  Anyone read this book or know of any others to suggest?  Thanks!

sk8boarder15 likes this.
#2 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My daughter is also three.  We've read Charlotte's Web, The Borrowers, The Moomins, Babe the Pig, Beatrix Potter, Stuart Little, Wind in the Willows, Winnie the Pooh, Mary Poppins, and lots and lots of early chapter books from the library (ie. Geronimo Stilton, etc ... these tend to be more schooly and I'll be the first to admit that I often change "school" to "library" or try to avoid the ones set in school exclusively altogether).  Have fun! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Great list from s&d. To it I would add "My Father's Dragon" (or "Three Tales of My Father's Dragon" which includes two sequels as well) by Ruth Stiles Gannett. It's the best first chapter book for kids that I've ever encountered. Love Cynthia Rylant's "Lighthouse Family" series as well. We try to stay away from early reader books as readalouds, as they generally don't have much literary merit IMO, and are intended and best kept for newly independent readers.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM

We like the Tiptoes Lightly Series by Reg Down. Also, Mr. Popper's Penguins.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies!  I especially like S and P's tip about switching school to library!  Very sneaky!  I will have to look into these.  Thanks again!

#6 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Lady Lollipop

A Mouse Called Wolf 

both by Dick King Smith

Oh, I have done "Mouse and the Motorcycle" with my kids when they were 3 and nearly 6.  I don't know how much my then 3 year old understood, but she listened to it well. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Not what you asked for but at that age my daughters love hearing us read High Five Magazine (for 2 to 6 year olds from the makers of Highlights.) It is very exciting when it arrives in the mail and unlike the periodicals I receive each issue gets reread many times. 

#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM

sonlight.com has a p3p4 book list that is FANTASTIC. if you want it secular just skip the religious books and buy the others. Really it's truly an amazing list. lots of classics as well as some I had never heard of.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!!!

#10 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Masel we just ordered High Five :).  I will check out sonlight.com too thanks again ladies!

#11 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM

We really love anything from Carus Publishing (Cricket magazine and others). Spendy, and take forever to arrive, but lovely and sweet and no advertisements and a nice blend of classic poems and new stories and inclusive without being preachy.

I still like picture books, too! Some gorgeous ones out there! Blockhead (biography of Fibonacci), The Boy Who Drew Birds (Audubon), Red Sings From Treetops (poems and illustrations of seasons).

DD is also liking both Little Bear and her brother's Shakespeare retellings and ballet stories. I do like Little Bear and Frog and Toad and especially Owl at Home--sweet, simple, but writing that holds up.

Heather

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page