URGENT!! NEED HELP ASAP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a way to pull a failing student from school to home school with only a few days left in the year to avoid repeating the grade?

Wife to a super sexy hubby , mom to Christian 12/94 , Autumn 10/97 (HB), Will 07/00 (HB), Ocean 06/09 (birth center) and Zion 11/13 (HB) co-sleeper. no-vac, no-circ, babywearer, 8.5 years accu BF...and counting.
#2 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm not really understanding your question.  I can't imagine it would make much of a difference if you pulled him out now or let him finish the last three days.  Are you thinking you would homeschool him for one year only, and wondering if the school would allow this next year to count as seventh instead of a repeat of sixth grade?  That would depend a lot upon your district's policies and how they determine grade placement.

#3 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response. We are homeschooling next year regardless. We have decided to let him finish this year out. I heard of someone pulling their child out of school as they were not doing well and were going to fail. They were able to home school the last month and their child passed the assessment test and they were able to move on to the next grade. I do  not plan on letting him return to public school as she did.

We will just deal with what comes. I was in a panic today when I heard this news and while I wrote this post as I have already purchased many of the books and assignments for 7th grade. I was also worried that repeating 6th grade was unnecessary as his problems are staying focused at the task on hand and not his intelligence. I personally do not believe in "grade levels". I believe that a child's intelligence should be rated in a wider range. Unfortunately it is much too late to do anything about this.

Wife to a super sexy hubby , mom to Christian 12/94 , Autumn 10/97 (HB), Will 07/00 (HB), Ocean 06/09 (birth center) and Zion 11/13 (HB) co-sleeper. no-vac, no-circ, babywearer, 8.5 years accu BF...and counting.
#4 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM

I believe that as a homeschooler, your child is in whatever grade you choose for him (I know this is true in the states with which I am familiar, but I'm not sure about the details of homeschooling in Florida).  You administer his school, after all.  I could see pulling a child so they didn't have the experience of getting another bad report card.  Besides, you only have a few days to enjoy empty parks and museums before they all get swamped with kids out of school for the summer!

Pookietooth and Ydolem like this.
#5 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It doesn't matter if he finishes out the school year or starts homeschooling now, his grade level for work is between you and him. How you choose to homeschool has nothing to do with what the school says about him.

Also, I would guess that pulling him out of school now won't avoid him "failing" that grade as far as the school is concerned.

Ydolem likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for responding. That is good news. I guess you are right about his grade level being what I appoint. Do you know how I would go about finding that information for Florida? I have been trying to search Google for it and I guess I am choosing poor search words.

#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydolem View Post

Thank you both for responding. That is good news. I guess you are right about his grade level being what I appoint. Do you know how I would go about finding that information for Florida? I have been trying to search Google for it and I guess I am choosing poor search words.

I would start here: http://www.fpea.com/about-home-schooling/getting-started-guide/

I googled Florida Homeschoolers Association to find your inclusive statewide organization.  It looks like they've got all the basics on their website, and I would expect you could contact them if you have questions.  

Ydolem likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Fl mama here, former and future HSer, but not current.  You will need to find your district website (in FL, it mostly goes by county).  Once on the district site, search for "homeschool handbook".  HTH!

Ydolem likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ~onatightrope~ that great resource is a current favorite bookmark. I never thought to ask them. I just send them an email! :)

Blessedwithboys~I am on my way to tango with the dreaded school district handbook! LOL

#10 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Grade levels are a great convenience for schools because they let teachers prepare to teach large groups of kids by making some assumptions about what those kids already know and do.  That's a noble project, but the cool part of homeschooling is that you don't have to prepare for a mass of children or make guesses about prior knowledge.  Start where he is and set goals for learning and growth.  

Ydolem likes this.
#11 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Grade levels are a great convenience for schools because they let teachers prepare to teach large groups of kids by making some assumptions about what those kids already know and do.  That's a noble project, but the cool part of homeschooling is that you don't have to prepare for a mass of children or make guesses about prior knowledge.  Start where he is and set goals for learning and growth.  

This is exactly how I feel about it and why I am starting this adventure with my kids. My daughter is 14 and my son is 11. My oldest is going to be a senior this year and wants to finish for obvious reasons and my youngest is just turning 3. This is a whole new experience for us all and I guess I thought that since they already were in school that they had to start where they left off. :) This is great news!! Thank you everyone!! Mothering Forums are the BEST resource for a parent!! I give this website to all my friends who are mothers or soon to be!!

Tags
Unschooling , Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page