Why would you homeschool?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 06-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchynerd View Post

I loved the "because it's FUN!" response, and am dying of curiosity to know what the response was, by the middle-aged men?

I also like the "because I want my kids to have a quality education and be well-socialized!" response. That sort of short-circuits followup questions like "aren't you worried about socialization?" and "but how will they get a good education?"

I have had the "I could NEVER do THAT!" thing said on a variety of topics, most notably, when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, the letter carrier of all people expressed amazement at how many kids I had (!) and said he could never deal with that many (seriously, 3?!). 
I was too shocked and furious to think of anything right then, but later, came up with the "wish I said it" reply. 

Now, I use that reply if anyone is being hostile with their "Oh, I could NEVER do/handle/deal with THAT!" stuff, and it's this: "No. I don't suppose you could." and leave it at that.

This is such a great response! Love it! I am going to use that next time smile.gif
#32 of 37 Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM

I've probably asked the question before.

My kids are actually in public school right now. I was homeschooled for high school and I never did finish. That's a regret I still have to this day. My goal is to go in and get my GED before Christmas. I would love to homeschool my kids someday. As of right now my husband is very against homeschool. My oldest is in the 1st grade and she loves public school. She wishes is was all summer long too. Then I have a child in kindergarten and he loves that he gets to take Fridays off. He wanted to be homeschooled. Like someone else said it is a real fear that if I homeschooled my kids wouldn't learn much, but maybe because I have that fear I'd make sure they learned. I don't know. dizzy.gif Right now my life is kind of crazy with 5 kids 6 and under so for us public school is what works.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#33 of 37 Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Depends on how spicy I am feeling, to steal a phrase. From "Oh I always knew I was going to homeschool my kids. So I got a teaching credential and taught for several years after graduate school. The state thinks I'm pretty qualified." Which doesn't actually answer "why" at all. It just states it as "of course I spent my life in preparation for this goal and I'm as good as everyone else so f#ck off."

Usually with something to the effect of, "Getting a teaching credential convinced me that I don't want any of those people to be responsible for my kid for five minutes let alone a year." I spent the entire credential program insane with anger because more than half the people there showed up without homework and asked to cheat at the last minute. I wanted to hurt people so badly. I am weirdly a rule follower. Cheating makes me hate people.

Or I go with, "My husband and I were both severely traumatized by the public education system and we think our kids deserve better than that." Depends if I want to be actually aggressive. Ha.

If I'm feeling friendly I say, "Well I'm kind of a travel nut. We will spend some time WWOOFing when the kids are older and it's hard to do significant travel and attend traditional school. Oh, and I'm a credentialed teacher." Then people instantly feel supportive.

Picking which line to give feels so manipulative.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#34 of 37 Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 AM

The irony is that I was asked that question when my son was young, and now that he's a teen, I'm never asked.
#35 of 37 Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I happen to have gotten a masters in education (which I hated and thus am not a teacher), but it's a convenient "out" for me.  I am "qualified" in the eyes of the people.  *sigh*  So usually I go with something like "well, the public schools aren't a great fit for my kids and I have an education degree, soooo...." 

I guess this would be a spin on "Because I can"? 

Anyway, I always want to question people on why they send their kids to public school.  It's not exactly a secret that the public schools are lacking.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#36 of 37 Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Depends on how spicy I am feeling, to steal a phrase. From "Oh I always knew I was going to homeschool my kids. So I got a teaching credential and taught for several years after graduate school. The state thinks I'm pretty qualified." Which doesn't actually answer "why" at all. It just states it as "of course I spent my life in preparation for this goal and I'm as good as everyone else so f#ck off."

Usually with something to the effect of, "Getting a teaching credential convinced me that I don't want any of those people to be responsible for my kid for five minutes let alone a year." I spent the entire credential program insane with anger because more than half the people there showed up without homework and asked to cheat at the last minute. I wanted to hurt people so badly. I am weirdly a rule follower. Cheating makes me hate people.

Or I go with, "My husband and I were both severely traumatized by the public education system and we think our kids deserve better than that." Depends if I want to be actually aggressive. Ha.

If I'm feeling friendly I say, "Well I'm kind of a travel nut. We will spend some time WWOOFing when the kids are older and it's hard to do significant travel and attend traditional school. Oh, and I'm a credentialed teacher." Then people instantly feel supportive.

Picking which line to give feels so manipulative.

ok, I didn't see this before I posted.  My education degree completely collapsed any confidence I had in the public school system, and honestly that is why I homeschool (well, that and we can no longer afford private school).  NOT that there aren't good teachers out there... there are lots, but 1) you're not guaranteed one and 2) the administrative crap puts them in shackles.  *sigh*

Anyway, ITA.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#37 of 37 Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM

i've only had people be truly taken back by the fact that we homeschool a couple of times. i'm very confident in what we do, so there really isn't a lot of wiggle room for them to make me feel uncomfortable.  the truth is, they are ignorant of what homeschooling is & i am not. therefore, i listen to what they need to say or ask, and i answer and correct them as needed. if they were ever trying to argue with me for some reason about how i parent and what we choose, i would shut the conversation down.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Tags
Unschooling , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page