REAL Science Odyssey - Earth and Science - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

For those who have used this, how long is a typical lesson? Do you follow their schedule or do a longer science day?

TIA!

lady.gif
38 Year Old Mama 
8 year old DD
December 2012 Baby Girl
#2 of 4 Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

The program is super flexible.  It is divided into units vs lessons.  There are 12 units.  At the bare minimum, you could read the "for my notebook" page and then do a lab or two.  On the other end of the spectrum, you could find all the books on the book list, do all the labs, and then do some from suggested activity books.  

We did the "middle of the road" approach.  For us, I would find out which books our library had and place them on hold.  Then, we would read the books over the course of a week or two (two if my dd loved that topic) and sprinkle the labs in.  We did most the labs in the book.  We only did a few that were found in outside books.  

The "suggested weekly schedule" has you work on the program twice a week.  We tended to go in spurts.  With the exception of the unit on the planets, we did most activities and read on average 3 books per topic.  We frequently reread the books because dd was interested enough to really want to "know" it.  For us, the planets were less interesting so we skipped learning about each of them individually (in depth) and focused more on the solar system as a whole.  

I bet we averaged about an hour a week.  I hope that helps.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 4 Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We tried their chemistry program and literally did it just like AAK--in spurts.  Sometimes gung-ho, sometimes notsomuch.  But agreed--very flexible.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#4 of 4 Old 05-31-2012, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We did it last year.  My kid is way way way into science, so he finished chemistry, earth, and life science all in one year. LOL!  He only worked on it 45 minutes a day, max, including set-up.  He loved it a lot though.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page