online school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi is anyone doing the k12 curriculum? We will start the program in August. I have not educated the kids at home before so I am a little nervous. I have heard both good and bad things about the program. I figured I will just give the program a try and go from there. I have three children. The oldest will be in 3rd grade and my son will be entering K. I also have a 11 month old. I work full time as a RN in the ER but I work nights. I have lots of family support. Anyone else in the same boat of trying out an online school?

#2 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 AM

We are doing K12 this year, for the first time.  I also have a child going into 3rd.  I am really excited about it, can't wait to get the materials in August. :)

flowersforyou.gif

#3 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Oh that is cool! Nice to have someone in the same boat. I am Rachel by the way. I am excited to get the materials! Have you had experience homeschooling?

#4 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 07:02 PM

I am working on getting my two enrolled in K12 International Academy. We plan to start in August as well. I have no experience homeschooling. Ds is going into sixth and dd into third.

I, too, have heard both good and bad. A lot of the negative I have read has related to the state charters, and I think much of it has to do with requirements that students log on at certain times and participate live in classes, and this is not the case with the international academy. Part of why I am giving this a shot is that we'll be traveling, possibly a lot, and need the flexibility to work in whatever time zone we're in, when it works for us. I understand we will still be logging in daily and there are expectations there, and I think with two school-trained kids, this won't be hard to maintain. But when we're ten or eleven time zones away and a class is held live in the middle of our night, well, it seemed silly to expect the kids to be able to join live.

I'm looking forward to getting the materials, too. I just hope we have enough space in our baggage allowance to pack it all along when fall comes and we head back overseas.

We also plan to supplement the school experience with homeschooler group activities, to ensure plenty of interaction with other families, and opportunities to explore hobbies, be active and have fun.

#5 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

we did K12 for 2 semesters... Overall we had a fine time with it it was a great transation out of a brick and motar classroom setting. It was also nice to get all the materials and such both for free and clearly laid out. The regulations and requirments as far as how often she had to log on and when and such at first was super simple but then they kept adding things and adding things till it was jsut way outta hand. Hopefully that wont happen to you.

My poor DD also changed teachers sooooooo many times the k12 can't seem to keep teachers while she never saw/met any of them each again wanted something different and it go tiring keeping up.

Day to day though the work wasn't over whelming and seemed fairly complete. I disliked EVERYTHING being on the computer especially in the 3rd grade.. In the second grade the computer still read things too her so like she could listen to her history lessons but by 3rd grade she could only read it and while she reads well it got to be a bit much so eaither I had to jsut sit beside her reading or she got too frustrated.

We also ended up having to "skip" a lot of the science and Art cause the materials list would fail to say we'd need certain materials untill we got to the lesson and then have no way to get them.. It was  HUGE complaint amoung the parents here.. Maybe they have fixed that??

On the back to good though we did have a good k12 support system here.. my DD attended a K12 cop-opt class 2 a week for 2 hours and she liked that.. I've actually have had yet to find a support group now with straight homeschooling.

Good luch with your decession.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#6 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll be watching this thread, We've always homeschooled, but I'm looking at doing an online charter like Connections Academy or K12 if the kids don't get into the more flexible "charter" school that essentially pays for your curriculum and checks in to make sure that they're doing schoolwork.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Yes, I've homeschooled dd since the beginning, but I have a feeling online school will be more rigorous than we've ever done it before!  Which is good, I think.  I think dd needs the challenge.

flowersforyou.gif

#8 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM

There is a K12/Virtual school thread here.  I don't virtual school and I found it really helpful because we do use some k12 in our homeschool

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#9 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post

There is a K12/Virtual school thread here.  I don't virtual school and I found it really helpful because we do use some k12 in our homeschool

Can you provide a link?  I haven't had any luck finding that thread!

flowersforyou.gif

#10 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I am set for next fall, but looked at that for later maybe....love to hear all the feedback on it. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#11 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 PM

We had 2 kids in K12 for 1 semester and it was nice. It helped me transition my son into public school and I liked the curriculum and the teachers. We've also tried Connections, which I preferred. K12 is more flexible and easy to work in but Connections had so many more electives and fun things that made it worth giving up a little flexibility. DD is doing virtual again and this time we're moving to a locally-based school instead as the social side is more important and the big ones don't have stuff in my area. Loved virtual school and don't think I'd ever go back to doing it all on my own again.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page