"Donald In Mathmagic Land" - video about math - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone seen this video before? It's by Disney, done in 1959. We spotted it in the library yesterday (DVD). I remembered how wonderful Fantasia was, so I thought that this being another older animated Disney film, it might be good as well. I was right! It's a half hour long, and in it, Donald Duck takes a walk through a narrated world of the wonders of mathematics in the world around us. He's skeptical at first, thinking that math is for "eggheads" as he calls them, but the kind-voiced narrator soon shows Donald how math is in so many aspects of our lives.

I highly recommend it. My son, whose early experiences with math were pretty bad because (as I later found out) his learning style is NOT suited to traditional worksheets & drilling methods, really enjoyed it. He kept saying "that is just amazing!" "that is so cool!"

#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I saw this a few times when I was a kid in school.  I don't remember anything specific about it, but I think I liked it.  (Maybe I just liked it compared to normal school work.)

#3 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 AM

Lol! I was on math team in middle school and high school and our advisor had this in the VCR in her van. We'd watch it on the way to math competitions. Was there a part with a pool table??

Thanks for the memory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#4 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM

I remember that video!  My high school math teacher always played that every year (I had him for 3 of my 4 high school years).  He'd get popcorn and soda and we'd have a good ol' time.  I'd completely forgotten about it...I should try to find a copy for DS to watch.

#5 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, there was a part with a pool table. It was fascinating! I never knew that stuff!! I mean, I intuitively knew that knowing about angles would help with pool, but I never knew the precision of it, and why pool tables have those marks on the side. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

Lol! I was on math team in middle school and high school and our advisor had this in the VCR in her van. We'd watch it on the way to math competitions. Was there a part with a pool table??
Thanks for the memory!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#6 of 6 Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM

You can get the movie off of Amazon or Barnes and Nobles.. Its on my homeschool wishlist :)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Unschooling , Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page