what would you use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ok i have a 8yr old son i have been hs'ing. I have been letting him set the pace but he spends the day with my mom while i work and she has been very concerned about his lack of reading. I would like him to read more but want to not ruin it by forcing him to read.

does anyone recomend a program that might get him to read a bit more on his own? I was looking at some workbooks on amazon by sylvan for sight words and thought they might be nice my son could do a page or 2 at her house everyday and she would freak out on me every week or so.

thanks for any advice

pollyanna

#2 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We used hooked on phonics (checked out from the library) as the introduction to phonics. I also made sight word games that we played, and read aloud often, used books on CD, and had lots of familiar books around.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We used the BOB books for an 8yo that knew letters and letter sounds, but didn't read.  At all--not even just "not well".  There are five levels/sets and really--they were awesome.

This is set one:  http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-Beginning-Readers/dp/0439845009/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338927780&sr=8-2

They literally start with one, 3-letter word on a page with a picture.  They were incredible with confidence building, too.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#4 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Not a program, but expanding what counts as "reading practice" definitely helps in this house.  Graphic novels, comic strips, snippets of books that are far beyond their level (for my 7yo that means reading chapter headings for Harry Potter. Your 8yo is probably beyond this, but you get the idea.)  Guide books, even though at their age they can only read the flower or bug names.  Again, you get the idea: interest-based, not necessarily their reading level.  Anything with speech bubbles really inspires them to read in this house!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

my 9 year old does the reading eggs express on line.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page