Secular Science - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a good science program for elementary aged kids that will never have anything about creationism/intelligent design?

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#2 of 26 Old 06-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

#3 of 26 Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We LOVED R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey.  Minimum amount of prep for me, lots of fun and learning for my kids.

We did earth science this year, and are doing life next year (or maybe this summer).  They have a try before you buy option.  They claim to be secular and I haven't found anything that causes me to think otherwise.

http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=50

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 26 Old 06-09-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

I looked up BFSU. I'm not sure. Do you have a direct link to their site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

We LOVED R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey.  Minimum amount of prep for me, lots of fun and learning for my kids.

We did earth science this year, and are doing life next year (or maybe this summer).  They have a try before you buy option.  They claim to be secular and I haven't found anything that causes me to think otherwise.

Amy

My only concern with R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey is that there isn't any Level 2 (other than Biology) or Level 3. Also, what does the author mean by a mention of evolution? I do think we are going to use History Odyssey and am gathering resources to that end :) I have the RS4K Biology text. My concern here is that I would need to purchase a lab book whereas with R.E.A.L. Science it's more all in one.

I have seen Elemental Science. I kind of like it. But again, I am just not sure. I feel science to important to just experiment (no pun intended lol). I would almost like it to be our spine subject, but think that History is much, much better for that job due to the fact it is everything lol.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

#5 of 26 Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I'm thinking about starting off with this: http://elementalscience.com/explor.html for K4. My son is only 4. He will be 5 in January. I'm considering our school year to be either January based or July/August. I'm not sure yet and know it really doesn't matter lol. Compulsory age here is 6 but all the kids seem to go to kindy at age 5.

Edited to fix typo lol

#6 of 26 Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 PM

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/building-foundations-of-scientific-understanding.htm

Cathy Duffy gives a very clear description.  The last large paragraph talks about his handling of Evolution/Darwin.

ETA:  Here is a site for a free living books science cirriculum that looks neat.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/otters_science_main.html

#7 of 26 Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM

We started with Real Science 4 Kids which is in theory secular so I've read but I've also read that the author is one of the biggest defenders of intelligent design.  Anyways I had read that the early levels were totally secular.  We did chemistry and biology (pre-level 1 for chemistry and level 1 for biology I believe).  I really liked the chemistry.  We used it when ds was in in kindy and I think it set him up well for science in general.  We did not however stick with it. 

For awhile we followed the topics from the Baltimore Curriculum Project which we use for history. 

Finally at the beginning of this year we stumbled upon BFSU.  I had never heard of it previously and it just happened to come up on Amazon.  I read the reviews and went ahead and bought it thinking I'd just sell it if I didn't like it but we totally love it.  It takes awhile to get used to the layout (or lackthereof) but I really love the flow of it.  We've only gone through the first book but so far it's been entirely secular and by the way the author talks throughout the book I would be totally flabbergasted if he did not stay secular throughout his other texts.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#8 of 26 Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post

My only concern with R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey is that there isn't any Level 2 (other than Biology) or Level 3. Also, what does the author mean by a mention of evolution? I do think we are going to use History Odyssey and am gathering resources to that end :) I have the RS4K Biology text. My concern here is that I would need to purchase a lab book whereas with R.E.A.L. Science it's more all in one.

I am hoping that R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey gets level two going sooner rather than later.  They act like Level 2 Biology is near, yet we can't get it yet.  They have been talking about it since fall at least.  I think once they get to a level 3, that by nature level 3 will have to be so different than level one that I am not sure we would stick with it anyways.  Therefore, I don't worry about level 3.  I wouldn't let the absence of higher levels be a bother though.  I honestly don't know many people that have stuck with one particular science curriculum throughout all the years.  

Your children are young enough to get great benefit from Science Odyssey.  However, I also have BFSU and really like that as well.  I was finding though, that I wasn't taking the time to plan well enough to use it regularly.  I think it is a great book though and the author provides email support.

Regarding Real Science 4 Kids. . . we did that one year too.  It is nice for a more traditional textbook and lab approach.  We did the physics (can't remember, but I think level 1).  My dd was in grade 4 at the time.  She loved the labs but got sick of the text rather quickly.  It is a solid program, but for us it was too pricey and not enjoyable enough.

Amy

#9 of 26 Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

When my DS was at the elementary level we did 'science' via the Magic school bus, Myth busters, Discovery channel and things like that.  Add in lots of trips to the zoo, legos, a library card and a few classes and everything was covered.

What gets overly tricky is at the high school level. But I will save that rant for a different day.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 26 Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, Myth Busters :) I absolutely love those guys. But we don't have cable boo hoo :(

We have legos and my ds is learning to make his own creations (recently a robot cat..... um k? lol) My son likes the RS4K text and asks me to read from it. He likes to listen a lot longer than I like to read it.

Ok, so if I do go for R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, would the physical or ebook be better? I don't curretnly have a printer.

#11 of 26 Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM
AAK

Quote:

Ah yes, Myth Busters :) I absolutely love those guys. But we don't have cable boo hoo :(

We have legos and my ds is learning to make his own creations (recently a robot cat..... um k? lol) My son likes the RS4K text and asks me to read from it. He likes to listen a lot longer than I like to read it.

Ok, so if I do go for R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, would the physical or ebook be better? I don't curretnly have a printer.

Get the physical copy, you will want some of the lab sheets.  I got the one that wasn't bound, just 3-hole punched.  I put it in a binder and made copies of the lab sheets so that more than one kid could do the lab.

Amy

#12 of 26 Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Quote:

YouTube has them

we also love The Secret Life of Machines-again-you tube

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 26 Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

The library has them too.  (as well as DVD's of popular mechanics for kids, Big Machines, Weather dvd's and tons of other things to watch)

I think amazon streaming has some too.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#14 of 26 Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM

We do 'science' with a small group of kids that happens to be getting together for another activity as well.  We do it in 2 age groups, 7ish and 10ish.  We have done: Real Science for Kids Chemistry - it was great, but we were less interested in what they had lined out for the other topics.  I also didn't like how the more advanced levels repeated the same experiments as the early levels, but with more detail.  We also did two K'Nex educational sets with the kids - Bridges and Gears.  They were both really great, and we all learned a lot!  All of those activities took a year to complete (we met once a week).

Next year we are going to do Real Science Odyssey (chemistry, I think) and perhaps another K'Nex set to change things up a bit. 

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#15 of 26 Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

tbh we don't "do" science anymore. I kind of think little kids will pick up science by osmosis really, every kid I have ever met LOVES science. We do quite a lot of clubs, open days and so on which are scientific in nature, but tbh that's more because we are sciency parents than anything else. I did try teaching science to my science obsessed 8 year old, he was like "what? why are you teaching me this stuff? I didn't know science could be dull...". Its a very dynamic thing at this age and I think teaching it was a pretty dumb idea really.

However if you do want something concrete, I think the intellego unit studies and the ellen mchenry unit studies are the best of a bad lot. Also, Elementeo is a coolish game. But, tbh, less cool and fun than quite a lot of other games.

And Science Jim! Check him out, he is great!

(ETA oh and everything I've recommended is totally secular)

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#16 of 26 Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 PM

For a child who is this young, I would watch a lot of Magic Schoolbus and Bill Nye DVDs, go on nature walks and identify local plants and birds, fry ice, catch steam and watch it condense, read about the planets, make dirt into mud and then let it dry back into dirt, sprout beans, play with magnets, get a good magnifying glass, mix baking soda and vinegar, etc.  I would save formal stuff for a few years later.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#17 of 26 Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/building-foundations-of-scientific-understanding.htm

Cathy Duffy gives a very clear description.  The last large paragraph talks about his handling of Evolution/Darwin.

ETA:  Here is a site for a free living books science cirriculum that looks neat.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/otters_science_main.html

thanks for this link I am checking it out :) this may be just what the mama ordered. :)

#18 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM

BFSU is very teacher/parent-heavy involvement which we found hard with a 3yo that likes to be chronically involved.

REAL Science Odyssey--get the physical copy for the lab sheets (which also encourages some independence--there's stuff they can take and run with).  But I didn't love that it stopped at elementary.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#19 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I've decided that Elemental Science is the right price and looks about right for a good intro year. After that, in K5 or 1st, we will switch to RSO. :) or that's the tentative plan lol

#20 of 26 Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Amy

This is what I'm intending to use in the fall! I think we'll start with Life though. Thanks for the recommendation.  :-D

My DD is just turning five.  Do you think the curricula are too old for her? She reads at about a 2nd grade reading level and has an extreme interest in science. 

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#21 of 26 Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

This is what I'm intending to use in the fall! I think we'll start with Life though. Thanks for the recommendation.  :-D

My DD is just turning five.  Do you think the curricula are too old for her? She reads at about a 2nd grade reading level and has an extreme interest in science. 

Nope, the program is very flexible.  My five year old enjoyed working on it last year too.  

#22 of 26 Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

I had one of those.  Sounds like it would be a good fit as long as life science suits her. 

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#23 of 26 Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM

We love magic school house books/tapes/kits and myth busters here too. This year we are buying a few kits from http://www.academyofscienceforkids.com/ it's not a full curriculum but it's fun and with a couple of added books or internet research it could be. 

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#24 of 26 Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Another vote for R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey.  We're in the middle of Chemistry and we've loved it.  Great information, fun experiments.  I'm convinced that kids in public school high school level chemistry will not learn a whole lot more than this program my dd is doing in 2nd/3rd grade.

My advice is to worry about what you are going to use for a higher level when you get there.  It's hard to imagine where your kids will be at that time.  They may be real science geeks and need something super challenging or they may be much more interested in literature and history and need something more basic.  No matter what they need, you'll find it when you get there.

And definitely buy the book.  It is all right there, you don't need to print anything, you just remove the lab sheets when needed.

#25 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Another vote for RSO here. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#26 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Yet another vote for RSO.  Science instruction is definitely a weak point for me and, lo and behold, RSO makes it enjoyable for my son and for me!  

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page